when is 17, not 17?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vega

On checking the specs of some lcd monitors, I noticed that alongside the screen size was the quote 'equivelant to a 19 inch crt' - this was in regards to a 17in lcd monitor - does this LITERALLY mean that lcd and crt sizes differ to each other even though their specs indicate that they are the same size?

Actually the specs are always correct.

The thing is that with CRTs the specs are not the thing you get advertised. 17" as applied to a CRT means that the screen inside has a 17" diagonal but thy don't tell you that you actually see about 16" of that You can always see the small print '16" visible' somewhere in the monitor specs.

With LCDs you can't cheat like that because you see the whole screen and 17" actually means 17" diagonal. Now, since people are ignorant and only think bigger numbers are better the LCDs have to be advertised with a label saying that the LCD inches are longer than CRT ones.

Yup. Noddy is right ;)

The visible screen on my 17" TFT is the same size as my 19" CRT. Its all to do with Viewable Size.
Most 19" CRT say 17-18 viewable.

so that means the 19in lcd monitor I'v just ordered is equivelant to a 20-21in crt ?
YEAHH!!

It depends on the panel (man have I typed that word a lot today, as in JPanel) used...

If it is rated for 16ms, it shouldn't give you too much ghosting, but it can if it's a "cheap" (slow) panel, whereas 25ms "should" give you ghosting, but if it's a "good" panel it won't show.

The Samsung 173T is using a 25ms panel, but is hardly showing any ghosting.

The Di-fusion EA17 claims to be using a 14ms panel, but is really ghosting.

BTW: this is european models. Don't know if it's the same numbering/parts used in the US

So if you're going to buy an LCD screen, you'll have to do your homework if you want to play games on it.
From what I've read, it would seem that most LCD's over 17" is having a problem with ghosting, since the panels used just can't transition fast enough. But this should become less and less of a problem as the technology moves on (but how soon it will be ok, I have no idea).

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
The Samsung 173T is using a 25ms panel, but is hardly showing any ghosting.

Thats the LCD screen I have, and unless your really looking for it, you can hardly, hardly notice the ghosting.

So if the brand is real good, such as Samsung, Sony, or NEC, 25ms or less is what you need for gaming. Lower then 25ms would rid ghosting entirely, but those panels tend to cost a lot more.

I had the 172T and the ghosting/blur was quite distracting although the guy I bought it from said he didn't notice it at all and upgraded to a 172W.

At the moment the best panels according to quite a few hardware review sites are still the Hydis 20ms (Hercules 920 Pro and Hyundai Q17), also the new 12ms ones are doing quite well (such as the 172X from Samsung).

There were a "little" test at a norwegian hardware site, where they tested 17 LCD screens from 15" to 17", 11 19" LCD screens and 5 20"/21" LCD screens...
And it was with a test-panel of 11 people (IIRC), so when they said no ghosting, you could take their word on it :)

Let's just say that the results were highly edutcational, and put me off any plans of buying anything larger than 17" right now.
(I'm drooling over the 173T, and looking at the 172X)

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
Let's just say that the results were highly edutcational, and put me off any plans of buying anything larger than 17" right now.
(I'm drooling over the 173T, and looking at the 172X)

Well if the ghosting on the 173T is not detectable I can say it will be a great monitor since the 172T was excellent in everything except games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back