When To Buy A Core 2 Duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstpaintball

When would be the right time to buy a Core 2 Duo? Should I go ahead and order one now, and wait until my order can be filled (probably 2 or 3 weeks). Or wait until they are staying in stock (when could this happen)?

Looking to purchase either a
E6400 and Abit AB9 Pro Motherboard - about $436
or
E6600 and Abit AB9 Pro Motherboard - about $571

Right now I'm leaning towards the E6400, a $135 is a good bit to save. With Quad Core processors in the somewhat near future, I can always upgrade to a better Core 2 Duo when they get cheaper if the Quad Cores are out of my price range.
Besides, I want to go SLI anyway, and there aren't many, if any Core 2 Duo Motherboards that I know of that suppport SLI currently.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=1
I think this shows the E6400 performance to be around the FX-62. Thats probably at least a $500 savings (after Motherboards) on the E6400 for a similar performance to the FX-62.

E6400 and a BFG 7950 GX2 1GB sounds pretty good.

I think the whole idea of the Geforce 7950 is that you don't need a SLI motherboard to make it work. You could even use it on an ATI based motherboard.

Ah, forgot to mention, that I want to go Quad SLI, but not at the moment. I just want to get a good system up and running soon.

Should I pay the $8.00 extra and have them apply Thermal Grease?
E6400 and Abit AB9 Pro Motherboard probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back