When trying to back up files over my network, I receive an "Error copying files..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickylaren

When trying to copy files from one computer to another over my home network (ethernet), I receive the following error:

"Error copying file or folder
Cannot copy [filename]. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

This is from one Windows XP Home machine to another, and the problem occurs in safe mode and normal mode.

The problem only occurs when "pulling" the files, not when "pushing" them. That is, when I sit at the destination computer and try to copy them from the source, I get the error. When I sit at the source computer and try to copy them to the destination, I don't have any problems.

Any suggestions?

You need to have an account on each PC with sufficient rights to pull/push files.
Also check the firewall settings on the 'offending' PC, and make sure all PCs have the same Workgroup name.

They're all XP Home Administrator accounts. The firewall is set correctly (it doesn't fix the error message if I disable it on either or both computers). Also, they're all on the same workgroup.

Thanks so much for your help!

-Micky

It doesn't ask for my login credientials.

Also, I get that message after it begins copying files. It doesn't happen with every file. It occurs after it copies a few files.

I have the same problem

I have the same problem, where i can "push" files across my network but not pull them. I have Windows xp on both computers and a Linksys wireless network. Did you ever figure out the solution? Please send reply to
bassailor aatt yahoo.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back