Where can I find the memory dump after a BSOD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kua

Giving me this information may be detrimental, because immediately afterwards I will get you to look at them and ask you how to stop my PC crashing ;).

Also I often get the IRQL...yada yada message, but other messages appear. IRQ stands for interrupt request and there is some information on interrupt requests in the device manager (that much I have discovered in the past five minutes), would it be useful for me to check if anything is awry there, if so, what should I look for?

Also if this is in the wrong forum, please redirect me.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have moved your thread to our Windows OS forum.

Go and read this thread HERE and see if it helps.

If it doesn`t attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps here, instructions are in the above link.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the welcome :).

Now I know where to find the minidump files, what is the program I need to read them? I might link them here anyway.

Is the Nvidia Bus thingy a potential problem?

This problem (amongst others with my PC) is driving me round the bend, I'd really appreciate some focussed advice.

I should state that I have taken the PC back to the place I bought it from (it's a new PC and I've been having the problem since I got it). They did one of their tests (giving the computer a high workload or whatever) but it didn't crash. But I believe testing the memory (a common cause) takes a lot longer. But if it's new shouldn't it be ok :p? I'm probably being idealistic.

The problem has never occurred outside one particular game I play, but it should be stated that the vast majority of my time is spent playing that game.

If you want ot be able to read minidumps yourself, see this short tutorial HERE.

I`m not sure what you mean by the Nvidia bus thingy? So I`ll have to pass on that question.

Regards Howard :)

Oh right sorry. I edited my first post, but seemingly it got lost. Meh.

Basically I frequently get the IRQL... msg on my BSOD. I checked the IRQ directory in system devices (?) and there were two instances of something called 'NVIDIA network bus enumerator' and one of them was on the same port(?) as another device(?) I hope that makes sense if not I'll try and like an image but I've been having trouble trying to designate a folder for a screenshot program called system32 -_-.

Can I just link the .dmp files here? My mind is not built for this stuff it sends me utterly crazy. I'm kinda hoping someone could look at the minidump, say here's your problem, do this, this and this and we can all go on our merry way. Perhaps it doesn't work like that. *Sigh*.

EDIT I did it anyway, sorry.

Your minidumps crash with various culprits and bugchecks. This indicates some kind of hardware problem, probably faulty ram.

Follow the instructions in this THREAD for testing your ram etc and let us know the results.

Well if it's faulty RAM, I can get the guys at the place I bought the PC to test it. I understand it takes quite a while to test. But it's better than trawling through all the techno jargon and pretending I understand it. BTW, if you don't have a PC already don't buy one ^^.

Would faulty RAM fit with the fact that one game in particular seems to be causing the crashes?

The NVIDIA network bus enumerator (see above) is not an issue?

There seem to be multiple versions and types of memtest86+ which is the one to dl? The ones I do dl just contain a read me or a file I cannot open (which sucks). Computers suck. Sorry to whine :p.

For info on using memtest86+ see this thread HERE. faulty ram can cause all manner of crashes as can other hardware problems. That`s why I suggested you followed the instructions in the thread I linked you to.

At this stage, it really is a process of elimination.

The NVIDIA network bus enumerator (see above) is not an issue?

Stranger things have happened, but your minidumps don`t crash consistantly with the same problem.

Just on the off chance your problem is virus related. Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

The first thing to do is check you have the newest drivers. i have done it several times but not systematically. Is there some sort of checklist of the various drivers that need to be checked and updated? Also the dxdiag appears to only show the sound and display drivers, where can I find what chipset driver I have installed as well as other drivers I might not know about. Also I know I need to get the sound and chipset driver from my mobo's manufacturer's site, what about other drivers?

Chipset drivers are available from your mobo manufacturers.

I still recommend you run memtest and post a HJT log. I don`t think your problem is driver related.

OK, could you please confirm for me whether or not a memory problem can be offset by a game?

I want to leave the memtest as a last resort. I've worked out how to do it from the link you gave me but I understand it takes a few days to complete. Especially as I have two sticks and I think I need to run the test with each one in the primary port(?) separately.

And yep I will follow the steps in the thread and post the resultant HJT log when I'm in the right mood :). These things require a serene mind.

Memtest takes typically a few hours not a few days to run.

Playing a game puts your system under stress and will therefore cause problems to becpme apparent which wouldn`t otherwise occur.

Until you give the results of Memtest/HJT etc, there`s nothing more I can do to help you.

I've followed the instructions in the Viruses/spyware... link as closely as possible, however it's not clear what Trend Micro is doing. It has stated it has 20 minutes left to run for close to an hour now.

I want to stop it and start over in case something is wrong, but I'm afraid it's actually meant to take so long.

Sorry, my bad, I gave you the wrong link. You can stop the scanner now.

THIS is the link I meant to give you, my apologies. It`s a HJT log I want to see.

I read the memtest tutorial, but am still a little unclear about this: "It is suggested that you run the test for at least 7 Passes."

Can I leave the test over night and as it achieves one pass it starts up again, or does the test have to be restarted every hour or so? Basically I would like to know if I can do the test over night.

Also am I right in thinking I'd have to do it with one memory stick first (I have two), swap them over and do it with the other one? And how do I know which is the primary slot?

Here`s how you should test your ram.

First: Take out one stick of ram and run your system, see if you still get crashes. If you do, take out the other stick and replace with with the one you initially took out into the same dimm slot and run your system again. Still get crashes? Try the same procedure using a different dimm slot. Still no improvement? Run Memtest with both sticks of ram in the system. Memtest will run ad-infinitum until you stop it. It`s perfectly ok to let Memtest run overnight.

If, Memtest gives you errors, run Memtest on each stick of ram individually, until you find which stick is faulty. There are occasions where Memtest will give errors when more than one stick of ram is in the system, but won`t give errors, when the sticks are tested individually. This is usually caused by a ram incompatibility problem.

Let us know the results.

Hm the crashes are only frequent when playing the game. If the test only take a few hours I'm thinking it might be quicker (and more convenient) to just run the tests straightaway.

EDIT: So there isnt a primary slot as such? As long as I use the same slot its OK. And once again i really do appreciate you helping me through this, I'm not really sure what I've done to deserve that :).

Just follow the procedure in my post above and let us know the results. Unfortunately, there`s no really quick way of testing your ram, so you need to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back