Where has the space gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harken

I was doing some maintenance today and noticed I have only~ 0.75 G free on my 10 G C: partition. Adding up the size of all the folders in the partiion only gives me about 4.5 G. Anyone have any ideas how to find out what hidden entity is using up all my disk space? Thanks

What version of windows are you using?? Revealing hidden files is done different ways in different versions of windows!!!!

I'm using XP Pro. It's supposed to be showing all hidden filesas I went into control panel and checked show hidden files.

I downloaded SequoiaView and I see that 25% of the partition is being taken up by pagefile.sys. What the heck is this and why is it taking up so much space?

use Help & Support -> Disk Cleanup

it will scan and report how much space it can recover; you can opt to
direct what gets deleted if you so choose.

Pagefile.sys is space reserved for virtual memory. It can however be adjusted tho. How big is the pagefile and how much ram do you have?

pagefile is 1.5 G and I have 1 G ram. A considerable amount of space is being taken up by soem lenovo\system update\session files under program files. Anyone know any thinkpad gurus that can tell about these files?

The pagefile is set to 1.5 times the ammount of ram you have. It can be manually adjusted in control panel, system, advanced, performance, advanced, virtual memory. But dont set it to less than 512.

As for soem lenovo\system update\session files, never heard of it, sorry!!!!

rik said:
The pagefile is set to 1.5 times the ammount of ram you have. It can be manually adjusted in control panel, system, advanced, performance, advanced, virtual memory. But dont set it to less than 512.
grrrr;
the normal ratios are 1.5 thru 3.0 times the installed ram. NEVER set it to
less than your RAM size.

"lenovo\system update\session files" Lenovo is the IBM system or website for computer driver and utility updates for IBM computers

jobeard said:
grrrr;
the normal ratios are 1.5 thru 3.0 times the installed ram. NEVER set it to
less than your RAM size.
Why? If you have 1 gig of RAM most people can run without a pagefile at all. And I'm unaware of any problems of having a 1 gig pagefile if you have 2 gigs of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back