Where's the sound? Help me please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay here folks, for all those tech savvy guys and gals out there, here's my dilemma. Basically, I bought a new DVD burner and proceeded to install it. I already had a regular CD drive and a CD burner drive in, so I decided to disconnect the regular CD drive and plug in the burner. When I continued to turn on the computer and test this DVD burner I found the picture to be perfect. However, there was no sound whatsoever. At first I thought it might be a little glitch so I just restarted the computer. Then I came to realize that ALL my audio didn't work. When I tried to play some tunes on Winamp I ended up getting this message that read:

Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078

So I proceeded to check my drivers and whatnot and look for updates. When I checked my system's hardware, it said everything worked fine. But it didn't. Then I took apart my computer again and put it back the way it was, without the DVD burner. It didn't seem to help though. So I checked the BIOS and the audio was set on AUTO. I then let Windows run and tried to manually download and install the driver for my soundcard (which is integrated into my motherboard). When I tried to install the driver, it said I had to enable audio on my BIOS. It was enabled when I checked it. I figured that my computer was just being difficult so I restarted my system and diabled audio in my BIOS, then I let windows run for about an hour. After that I restarted and turned the audio back on in my BIOS. Nothing has helped. I've googled this Bad DirectSound driver business and tried everything. I've uninstalled, re-installed, and updated my DirectX. I did the whole thing on Winamp where I right click > Options > Preferences > Input/Output > Driver. Nothing seems to work. Could it be possible that the integrated soundcard in my motherboard is fried? I really need sound on my computer. I'm a freakin' musician for cryin' out loud!

Any type of help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Au

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Well, what comes to mind, is to reset the bios.
Clearing the cmos, may need to remove the battery for a few
minutes with the jumper in the clear cmos position.

Depending on your system, since you are a musician, you may
want to consider a separate sound card anyway.
They take a big load off the cpu, they also deliver much better
sound quality.

G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back