Which ATI radeon card is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannanCarlock

I plan to upgrade my computer in the near future. I will be upgrading to a 3.2 or 3.0 AMD with about 1gb of memory. My question is which video card is better: A 9600 XT w/ 256mb of memory or a 9800 pro with 128 mb of memory? I know that the 9800 has twice the pipes of the 9600, but, can the 9600 be overclocked to run as well as the 9800 pro? I am not a nvidia fan and I want to stick with ATI when I upgrade. Also which brand of ATI card is better? I have heard good things about Sapphire. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Shannan

ATI RADEON X800 XT is gamer card

ATI RADEON 9600 XT is budget video card but its very excellent bang for the buck in heavy game.

WHy not Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT??

I've always preferred ATI for video and AMD for processing. Just my thing I guess.

How about 9700 pro vs. 9800. I am on a budget and need to get as much bang for the buck as possible. I will try to oc my video card and processor.

The difference between the 9700pro and the 9800pro isn't a very large one.
(At least not enough to have made me upgrade from my 9700pro)

If you'd tell us aprox how much you'd be willing to spend on the graphics card, it'd make giving suggestions much easier.

As for which brand, they're pretty much the same with the bundle being the big difference. (ATI doesn't allow the companies to make many changes, so they're mostly limited to what hsf to use, and where to put the sticker)
Asus will cost more than most other brands, whereas powercolor is often cheaper.

I havent seen any 9800 Pro's for under $200. Most 256 bit Radeon SE's will soft mod into a Pro. I did that. The card was $150. If not that your best bet for a sub-$200 card would be a 256mb 9600XT or look for a Pro on Ebay.

Thanks.

Pricewatch.com has got 9700 Pro Atlantis Sapphire for $163 and Powercolor 9800 Pro for $149. Good prices? 9800 Pro is better, correct? Can all ATI cards be oc'd? Is is software oc or hardware and is hardware oc difficult?

Another quick question: Is the 256mb of memory really utilized on the 9800 or the 9600? What I mean is there really any true benefit from the 128mb version?

9800 Pro

9800 Pro hands down. I went from a 9600 Pro which I overclocked to an XT to a 9800 Pro (EBAY for $130) that I overclocked very easily to an XT. I got a significant difference in performance in Call of Duty, Nascar 2003 and 3D rendering software. The overclock was via software (Randlink) and extremely easy (very novice with OC'ing here). I would suggest the latest Omega drivers as the Catalysts would not let me overclock (the Omegas were better anyways in my opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back