Which card is > than the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mkay,

so ive been shopping lately and the new radeon series has come to my attention. (the radeon x1k series)...

so i took a little peekeroo at the new x1800.

the x1800 has a core clock of 500mhz, and a mem clock of 1k.

the other card i have been keeping my eye on is the geforce 7800 GT OC'd

with a 450 mhz core clock and a 1250 memory clock

then i noticed "Memory Bandwith"

the x1800 had 32 gb/s and the geforce 7800 had 40gb/s

Which card should i buy

Tough question. Are you going to do dual cards in the future? Nvidia = SLI and ATI = Crossfire. What about the price difference? Performance-wise these cards are pretty close but the 7800 series is presumably lower priced and runs a lot cooler and quieter.

its 674.99 w/o taxes for the 7800

and its 607.99 w/o taxes for the x1800...

i just want a pwnage card that will make me make a mess in my panties

and no, im just going with a solo graphics card

SKiLLz said:
the x1800 had 32 gb/s and the geforce 7800 had 40gb/s
Huh?

7800 GTX = 38.4g/s memory bandwidth.
Overclocking 7800GTX (YMMV): 40-41g/s max bandwidth

X1800XT = 48 g/s memory bandwidth (not overclocked)

I'd imagine overclocking an X1800XT would likely hit 49-50g/s as it employs 1.2ns DDR3 memories. If there is a higher bandwidth ceiling obtained from overclocking, the X1800XT already starts with substantially more memory bandwidth and has the memories for hitting much, much higher stock.

Make sure you are comparing the price of a 7800GT vice the 7800GTX. There is a big difference in performance. The x1800 mathches up well with the 7800GT but the 7800GTX buries it. I suspect the price you are quoting is the 7800GTX not the GT. Find a 7800GT and then comp prices.

yeah thanks merc14 I was I little confused myself at first. Personally I like nvidia better but they are both good cards I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I agree, they are both amazing cards. I'd go with the 7800GT though just because it runs so much cooler and quieter while the difference in performance is minimal. Add on to that the price being lower and how can you choose ATI.

NVIDIA won this round. On the shelves months earlier, cooler and quieter running with eaual performance and a lower price spells WINNER. Let's just hope that ATI gets their act together and really challenges the market during the next go-round as the competition is good for us, the "enthusiast market".

Merc14 said:

I really hope you did not factor that into your judgement. A true gamer could care less about noise (espically from a gfx card) compared to performace. AS as far as heat goes, ive heard the 1xxx series is pretty cool. and the most impressive thing is that the card actually competes with alot less features. Less shaders and only 16 pixel pipelines compared to the 24 on the GTX. Personally..id wait until the XT version of this card to draw the true champ.

SKiLLz said:
this is where i got my info from and my prices.. 0o
Gotcha.. now THAT makes sense. :)

X1800XL, and X1800XT are the new R5xx based cards from ATI
7800GT and 7800GTX are the newest cards from NVidia but have been out a couple months.

Personally, I tend to avoid "Revision 1" of any videocard products as there are usually small improvements after initial launch. For example, a few users of X1800-series cards have reported fairly unusual idle temperatures.. not an issue, but unusual. Perhaps the cooler/heatsink doesn't sit perfectly flush on these early models? Who knows...

The 7800-series, on the other hand, has been around for several months now and has several different brands to choose from. It's a much more established product. I'd consider a modern day 7800 GT/GTX (as in not used/ebay'd) to be a safer bet.

THat makes more sense price-wise. Here is the better comparison in regard to performance http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1517508&CatId=0

The 7800GT and the x1800xl are on the same level and cmpete against each other. evga7800GT goes for $520 and the x1800xl for $594. An overcloacked out of the box 7800GT sells for $561 and will probably beat the x1800xl until you overclock it too. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1517507&CatId=0

Anyways, the difference in performance here is a few FPS one way or the other and hardly worth mentioning except in benchmarking.

As for quiet and temperature that is, as said above, completely up to the purchaser's preference. Some folks like their PC's to be as loud as possible just as the like their cars and motorcycles to make so much noise that people turn their heads and scowl. Personally, I like my PC to run quieter and spend extra to do that. I have a Zalman 7700Cu HSF on my overclocked CPU (3500+ Newcastle 2.2 at 2.4) and Arctic Cooling NV5's on each of my overclocked 6800GT's. (XFX 6800GT's 350/1.0 at 400/1.1) To keep it cool it resides in a Lian Li PC V1000A. It is still loud but much less so with the aftermarket coolers. I certainly never categorized a gamer as one who likes loud screaming PC parts but to each his own.

Merc14 said:
I certainly never categorized a gamer as one who likes loud screaming PC parts but to each his own.

Now lets not be ridiculous...all im saying is ive never heard anyone factor in the noise from a video card fan into there decision. a CPU heatsink, sure, maybe even a northbridge fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back