Which computer to buy???

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi im buying a home computer and i was just wondering which computer is stronger and and faster a hp intel core 2 duo e6300 or hp amd 64 x2 3800+

heres the specs for the e6300:

Processor Type Intel Viiv Core 2 Duo E6300
Processor Speed 1.8GHz
RAM 1GB DDR2 SDRAM (Exp. To 4GB)
Hard Drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drives 16X DVD+/-RW DL With Lightscribe
Graphics Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Available Expansion Bays 1 x 5.25" External, 1 x 3.5" External
Available Expansion Slots 2 x PCI, 1 x PCI-Express
Cache 2MB L2
Fax/Modem 56K V.90
I/O Ports 7 x USB 2.0, 2 x FireWire (IEEE 1394)
Network Card 10/100 Ethernet
Preloaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
System Bus 1066MHz

amd x2 3800+ :

Processor Type AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
Processor Speed 2.0GHz
RAM 1024MB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM (Exp. To 4GB)
Hard Drive 250GB SATA 7200RPM
Optical Drives 16X Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
Available Expansion Bays 1 x 3.5 in / 1 x 5.25 in
Available Expansion Slots 2 x PCI / 1 x PCI-Express
Cache 512KB+512KB L2
Fax/Modem 56K V.90
System Bus 2000MHz

These a virtually the same computer with the exception of the CPU's. The Intel will be faster, though neither system will be much of a gamer as they both use integrated graphics.

For school work, playing CDs or DVDs and surfing the internet either PC would work fine, although as nickslick already said, the E6300 is a little faster.

What kind of games were you hoping to play? Most newer games won't play very well with either of those integrated graphics solutions and some not at all.

i read at some other web sites that the intl e6300 in conroe...what does that mean? i know that the graphic cards arent good because there shared memory..i think.... but i always have the option of adding a new graphic card...

btw iff i decide to purchase a graphics card which brand will be the the best compatibility nvidia or ati..??

what do you mean work better at lower temps?

also, the 128 mb graphics card is shared if it is then the system memory will show 896 mb but if i put my own graphic card in it then will the memory show 1024 again or no....

pentium 4 said:
hi im buying a home computer and i was just wondering which computer is stronger and and faster a hp intel core 2 duo e6300 or hp amd 64 x2 3800+

heres the specs for the e6300:

Processor Type Intel Viiv Core 2 Duo E6300
Processor Speed 1.8GHz
RAM 1GB DDR2 SDRAM (Exp. To 4GB)
Hard Drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drives 16X DVD+/-RW DL With Lightscribe
Graphics Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Available Expansion Bays 1 x 5.25" External, 1 x 3.5" External
Available Expansion Slots 2 x PCI, 1 x PCI-Express
Cache 2MB L2
Fax/Modem 56K V.90
I/O Ports 7 x USB 2.0, 2 x FireWire (IEEE 1394)
System Bus 1066MHz :

get the Intel it will be better, upgrade to 2GIG of ram, and definatelly upgrade the video card (onboard video) in the system.

speaking with experence

also, the 128 mb graphics card is shared if it is then the system memory will show 896 mb but if i put my own graphic card in it then will the memory show 1024 again or no....
It should but only after you disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS. Also, if you are using a built-in sound card, that will take a little RAM too. Less than the graphics but a little still.

Codex Computing said:
as for the AMD cpu working better than the INTEL its more a matter of opinion. INTEL can be cheaper to replace than the AMD cpu's if they break down though not sure on the prices of these 2 without checking.

For me i chose AMD beause
a) AMD run cooler than the INTEL when on
b) AMD give our a slightly better performace than the INTEL
c) Slower AMD CPU's will give the same performance as a slightly faster INTEL version.

A) The newer Conroe core Intel's run very cool, generally cooler than the X2's
B) The Intel e6300 will easily out perform the X2 3800.
C) This used to be true with the Intel's that used the Prescott cores. With the Conroe (and beyond) cores, Intel got away from GHZ and concentrated on more efficient processing.

Since both computers listed are essentially the same with the exception of the CPU, I would go for the e6300 based system. Be aware that if you want to upgrade in the future to a dedicated graphics card you will want to ensure that the PCIe slot is a PCIe X16 slot. You may also need to purchase a new power supply to meet the demand of the hungry graphic card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back