which conditions to 2 VGA can run with SLI mode????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaracattle

I had a Geforce 6600 SLi, if I want to run n Sli mode,is it needed to buy a another VGA which is same model,same manufacture....I can buy a Geforce 6600 GT to run in Sli mode ?????

Just to confirm, you have a 6600 (not GT) and you are thinking of buying a 6600GT to put them in SLI?

As far as I know, it can't be done. You need a second 6600 for SLI. But you CAN mix and match different makers, speeds and sizes. It just needs to be the same GPU.

(from http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_rel80.html)

Example: You can use a GeForce 7800 GTX from manufacturer ABC with a GeForce 7800 GTX from manufacturer XYZ.
Note: You must still use two graphics cards that have the same GPU. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT must be matched with another GeForce 7800 GT (not with a GeForce 7800 GTX or a GeForce 6800 Ultra). Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Input/Output Ports
Example: You can use a GeForce 6800 GT with Dual DVI & TV-out with a GeForce 6800 GT with Dual DVI & VIVO.

Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Clock Speeds
Example: You can use a higher clocked GeForce 6600 GT 550/525 with a standard clock GeForce 6600 GT 500/500.

Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Memory Sizes
Example: Using Coolbits, you can use a 128MB GeForce 6800 GT with a 256MB GeForce 6800 GT.

kangaruffian said:
Both have same GPU = NV43

I know sometimes the chip is also called the GPU, but I am pretty sure that in
this case they are not talking about the "chipset" being the same.

In order to provide optimal symmetric scaling, SLI Technology requires the NVIDIA GPU to match. For example, a GeForce 7800 GTX must be paired with another GeForce 7800 GTX. Likewise, a GeForce 6600 GT must be paired with another GeForce 6600 GT. However, using the latest Release 80 Graphics Drivers, NVIDIA GPUs sold by different manufacturers can be used together in SLI Mode. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor ABC can be matched with a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor XYZ.

I notice that it doesn't say you CAN'T sli with unmatching GPUs... interesting.

Yet I have not been able to find any information confirming that it CAN be done. I'd say it's probably best to assume that if you want to sli the 6600, you'd best stick with a second 6600 (not a 6600GT).

But, something that HASN'T been said in this thread yet....

6600 (vanilla) in SLI doesn't make sense to me really.

I mean, a single 7600GT or a 6800GS, even a 6800GT would be a faster option than two 6600s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back