Status
Not open for further replies.

puncrawcboi92

I have been looking around at cheap cpu, and i saw 3 types

Athlon XP 2800+
Sempron 3000+
Celeron-D 335

what would you reccomend?

if you're building a system from scratch and low on $, go with an Athlon 3200+ XP.

bear in mind it is NOT a 64bit chip, however the ATHLON 64s a much better and more expensive. Another thread is arguing the case for 64s. There is not a whole lot of software support for Athlon 64s let alone driver support for 64s.

An XP chip is 32bit and quite fast. Many of the XP series can be overclocked, particularly the 2500+, but I don't recommend it. The 3200+ is the last produced in the series and a 10th generation chip. AMD no longer makes the XP series, but they can be found easily online and also on ebay.

I am upgrading my system from a 2500+ to a 3200+ very shortly. I am willing to sell my 2500+ for a reasonable price. It works perfectly.

let me know if you're interested, I'm going to put it up for auction on ebay.

I'll sell it for $45 starting bid plus $3.00 for shipping and insurance to a USA address.

The CPU has never been overclocked and works perfect. I will let you know, it is a locked CPU and this particular edition doesn't overclock. (It's a newer version.) However, I have never overclocked it myself. I bought it brand new. I have never had a problem with it. I consider myself very experienced with installations, so I know what I'm doing! ;)

I'll even use thermal cleaner to remove the thermal grease before I send it.

Guaranteed not DOA for 3 days. AMDs tend run to hot, so I highly suggest getting a very good socket A CPU cooler like thermaltake and artic silver thermal grease.

I'll let you know when I put it up for auction on Ebay. At the moment, I am deployed overseas in Korea with the Army and I won't be back for about 2 weeks. I have already ordered my 3200+ upgrade, it should be waiting for me when I get home.

Ensure you use a static strap when installing it, and be VERY careful not to crush the die when putting the fan on it. I can't guarantee against mis-installation.

Where are you located?

taken from isprank
Front Side Bus - The speed of the bus connecting the microprocessor, its chipset, and connected main memory. In architectures where the processor interacts directly with main memory, the definition of a singular front side bus is less clear. In such a case you would have to specify two FSB speeds, one for the connection to main memory and one for the connection to the processor chipset.
Makes sense now ?

like I said, it's still in my computer and I'm using it. As soon as I swap it out when I return home from overseas, I'll put it up on ebay with pics and specs.

AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ CPU, 1.83GHz, 333MHz FSB, BARTON CORE, SOCKET A, 512K L2 CACHE :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back