Which GeForce 4 Ti4200 should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmk

I have heard that there are some 128mb GeForce 4 Ti4200's going around which have the same clock speeds as the 64mb version. Should I buy one of these or the normal 128mb version, or just the 64mb version? Which make? I'm confused!!!:confused:

HELP!!:eek:

HDMK,

If you are using PC133 or slower memory: I'd consider the 128mb so that the card doesn't have to use the slower system RAM for a large amount of 'textures'. If you have 266mhz (or faster) system RAM: the 64mb should do you fine since the 'system RAM' can supply the textures at full AGP4x speeds. :cool:

I've read where the 'Pine Technologies' TI4200 64mb is highly overclockable. It has low ns RAM & even w/o heatsinks on the RAM it can oc! I've also read where some 128's have the same 3.5ns RAM as the 64's but they don't come clocked as fast. I've experienced a 16% oc with a VisionTek card having 6ns VisionTek RAM too. It has to be quality RAM to go that high, but it is on a MX400 w/SDRAM & not the Ti4200 DDR. :rolleyes:

VisionTek & PNY offer lifetime guarantees & I'm not sure about Pine or the others. Gainward/LedTek is known for *fast* quality cards too.

HTH,

I've looked on dealtime.co.uk for the 128mb version, and it gives me a list of cards from dabs.com:

Dabsvalue GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO...£150.39

Abit Siluro GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB DDR AGP RP DVI ...£162.14

AOpen GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB DDR AGP RP DVI VIVO ...£172.72

Should I go with one of these three? If so, which one? I don't plan to be overclocking the card, I'm not experienced enough. Or should I go somewhere else, if so, where?:confused:

Have a look at AnandTech .
Hopefully there will be cpu scaling results soon.
If you can get a 128mb at clock speeds of a 64mb for same cost go for it. You'd have the same memory bandwidth, so might as well get higher onboard ram.(not that there's much difference-yet)

Originally posted by hdmk
I don't plan to be overclocking the card, I'm not experienced enough. Or should I go somewhere else, if so, where?:confused:

Most reviews you can read about the XFX TI4200 64mb card will tell you that even for non-overclockers, your should still overclock the card because it runs easily stable @ 300/600.

Thus, even at TI4400 levels (275/550) it would be even more stable if you didn't want to *risk it any higher.

Note: Use Rivatuner's low level overclocking options, its better than driver level and causes no display changes on startup.

Hi Snowy,

Glad that XFX card is working so well! Your 3dMark #'s look good. :grinthumb

Question on Riva: Why the hardware oc & not the driver oc? The HW oc doesn't oc the driver but the driver oc does oc the driver & the HW both. What 'display changes' are you referring to? I run the driver oc & don't have 'display changes' at start-up. I also get better benchmarks than w/HW oc'ing.

Have you dl'd the *New* Riva version 11? It oc's better than 10.2 & offers the ability to make the nVidia GF cards Quadro. :D

Have a good one,

"display changes" as in, like when you change screen resolution and the display goes off and on.

RivaTuner has options for driver level overclock OR low-level overclock, 2 ways of doing the same thing, 1 via the driver and the other directly changing the code on the video card itself.

I've always noticed, using the driver to overclock like "coolbits" in the detonators will make the "display change" once every startup whilst the low-level is unnoticable, i.e. nothing changes.

Snowy,

I follow ya. My display does do that, but I thought it was CPUCool doing it thru the windows start up setting it is on. he he I have Riva starting thru the registry but I didn't opt to do that w/CPUCool. Either way, doesn't matter to me. ;)

Personal preferences. :cool: Check to see if you are getting driver level ocing w/the HW oc'd tho'. Riva V11 www.guru3d.com is great! Upped all my benchmarks 6-8%. :grinthumb

Enjoy,

I'd rather use Driver OC. I do get the display change at startup but I can also hold down CTRL once I log in order to default the card's speeds ( in case of hangs, etc ). I don't know how I could do this if the hardware OC was too much for the card & that it can't get to Windows in order for me to change it.

Originally posted by Didou
I'd rather use Driver OC. I do get the display change at startup but I can also hold down CTRL once I log in order to default the card's speeds ( in case of hangs, etc ). I don't know how I could do this if the hardware OC was too much for the card & that it can't get to Windows in order for me to change it.

Safe Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back