Which Graphics Card should i get? Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a compaq presario. It's a couple years old and I am looking to upgrade the graphics card so I can play MOH Pacific Assault.

I currently have the "Nvidia GeFroce 2 MX 100/200 64mb".

2.2 Ghz Pentium 4 processor

512 MB 266 Mhz DRam

1.5 v 4x APG slot

I have looked at severeal of the Nvidia cards but I'm not sure which one will give me the best upgrade without touching the rest of my CPU.

I'm not a huge gamer, but like playing all the MOH games.

Please help.

but among the best agp cards, the msi nx6600gt-vtd128sp costs about $210 (USD) and is a fast/capable piece of hardware.

i reccommend that you get a new machine for the following reasons:
-the power supply in your compaq undoubtedly lacks sufficient power for the newer video cards (the supply cannot be replaced because it's an oem build)
-your cpu, ram, agp slot, and mainboard will hold back performance a lot, limiting the gains of a new video card.
-compaq's are generally slow and inflexible computers, and once they become obsolete you have to get rid of them. (they're made this way for a reason)

the choice is up to you: just remember that getting a newer card will yield limited improvements.

maybe..maybe not

zephead said:
-the power supply in your compaq undoubtedly lacks sufficient power for the newer video cards (the supply cannot be replaced because it's an oem build)

I dont know about that. I justg replaced a Compaq Power Supply in a Persario with and Antec True Power 550. Now it is a year old, but i had no problems as far as compatibilty. Now i wont argue that Compaq is not a speedy rig, or that they are terrible for upgrades, but as far as the PSU goes, i had no trouble.

If the question is for just playing games occationally then u can do with FX series card without upgrading the remain stuff

if ur serios abt gaming then i will accept what zephead says.

enjoy.

Thanks for the input...I was planning on oredering a 450 watt power upgrade to replace my 250 watt one. Are you saying I can't change this out?? Please advise. Thanks.

What is the difference in the SP and non-SP version of this card?

The SP version says it needs a P4 prescott processor or higher. The non-sp version says a P3 or higher. will the sp version work with my p4 2.2 ghz???

Thanks for your response.

well, regardless of the power supply, you'll be stuck with dog slow ddr266 ram, an old cpu, and the 4x agp slot. the point is is that the new graphics card will bring limited performance gains, on account of the bottlenecks that exist elsewhere.
will the sp version work with my p4 2.2 ghz???
i have a prescott so i never looked into this. the non-sp version has slightly lower performance due to changes in bus interface design.

It would probably easier for you to get a Radeon 9800 Pro. They're quite cheap right now & very capable cards.

ANd the saga continues

zephead said:
well, regardless of the power supply, you'll be stuck with dog slow ddr266 ram, an old cpu, and the 4x agp slot. the point is is that the new graphics card will bring limited performance gains, on account of the bottlenecks that exist elsewhere.

And i agree with you zephead that is a totally vaild point, i was simply pointing out that i have upgraded compaq power supplies before. I would also recomend a upgrade on numerious parts on the machine. But he syas he is using a Nvidia GeFroce 2 MX 64mb, which i think is the worst piece of harware currently there.

Sean

Sean,

I have tried to upgrade my PS in my Compaq desktop and ran into a problem with the MB connection. I believe the situation was that the new PS (a 400 watt Antec) had a 20 pin connector and the MB was a 24 pin...or was it the other way around :confused: Seems like there was a separate 4 pin plug on the Antec.
I did have to drill new mounting holes in the new PS to match the mounting holes in the case...this was no big deal but when I went to connect it....suprise!!
Luckily I was able to return it to CompUSA without a problem (even with the new holes :D )
What could I have done differently? Is there a way to use this proprietary connection anyway?

Paul

Use adapters

ups4, you could have used an adapter for the 20 to 24 pin problem or for the other way around if that was the case. They work fine.

Also, with Antec (and others) you may choose power supplies that come with 20 or 24 pins to match whichever motherboard you have. If your motherboard doesn't require the square 4 pin connector, you can leave it alone and not use it.

mailpup,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know there were adapters for this....wish I had.
I was attempting to upgrade my video card to a Radeon 9600, which of course was way too powerful for the puny little 230 watt PS that comes stock with the Compaq. I ended up with a 7000 :eek: card (which is an enormous upgrade from the OEM crap) Having to return the 9600 and the PSU.
At the time, I was contemplating attaching the separate 4 pin along with the 20 pin (giving a total of the 24 pins) but thought better of it, and I didn't do it.
What is this 4 pin plug for?

Paul

If we're talking about the 2x2 square (=4) pin connector, it is should be a 12v power supply for the CPU. I don't think all boards require it though.

BTW, a 20 to 24 pin adapter costs around $4.00 (usd) or so.

mailpup said:
BTW, a 20 to 24 pin adapter costs around $4.00 (usd) or so.
Dang, I wish I had known this then. I could have a good PSU and a fairly decent video card.
Oh well, I'm putting together my list for my first build so I will get everything I want in that one.

Well thanks for the info about the 4 pin plug.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back