Which graphics card to get???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cokecan72

hi, i want to get a new graphics card for my comp, at the moment all i have is a radeon 7000 (PCI) 64mb DDR. its ok but not the greatest thing in the world. i used to have a geforce 2 MX440 and that was sweet, played all my games and dvd's/films perfectly. but i sold that along with my old comp about a year ago. I want something thats got 8X AGP, at least 128mb ram and thats about £50 - £60. any make will do just as long as it performs well with games etc.

btw, ive got a shuttle SN45G thats got nForce 2, 8X AGP etc, 512 DDR266, Athlon XP 2400, 40gig 7200 Maxtor HDD.

thanks all :)

thanks for your reply's. i would convert it if i knew how to??? lol sorry :). what nvidia card do you think would be the best?

Originally posted by Scol
Hmm, what's 50-60 convert to in US dollars?

50 to 60 pounds is $75 to $90. Thats kind of a tough range. I personally would suggest paying a bit more and getting an Ati Radeon 9600 Pro for $140 (78 pounds roughly). If you are not too picky about that then either a Geforce FX 5600 non-Ultra or a Geforce FX 5200 Ultra would both be very acceptable coming from a Radeon 7000.

Edit: Also I'd like to add that right now Ati and Nvidia are pretty much the same performance wise when cards at the same price are compared. Some say Ati has better anti-aliasing but thats rather subjective. In the end they both will perform very well. I personally have no preference; which ever has the best price with the best performance is the card I'll get.

that would be a pretty good card. you can overclock them some with better cooling too. but for the much money you could find an Ati 9600 pro wich is faster than the GFX 5600xt.

for a beginner

Originally posted by snowman
that would be a pretty good card. you can overclock them some with better cooling too. but for the much money you could find an Ati 9600 pro wich is faster than the GFX 5600xt.

This is for beginner, over clock your video card for beginner (first time) should not do that to avoid burn out and extend a longer life from video card:hotbounce :hotbounce

Either a 9600 Pro/XT or a 5600. :) I'd only recommend ATI though because I've never tried out the latest Nvidia cards and I know ATI has good image quality.

So, take your pick :)

Originally posted by SubKamran
Either a 9600 Pro/XT or a 5600. :) I'd only recommend ATI though because I've never tried out the latest Nvidia cards and I know ATI has good image quality.

So, take your pick :)

Agreed :grinthumb

to find a easier way to chose a better video card, 'look at vote for the best video card' so it could easier for you to pick the better choice, enjoy! :):):)

cheers, and i have overclocked my radeon 7000, not quite a beginner, its just that its been a while since i looked at graphics cards and alot of better and new ones have come out since then. was wondering what you guys thought would be a good card for the price.
thanks all :)

If you can find a Radeon 9500pro, then I'd go for that instead of the 9600, but aside from that the 96 is a very good card...

It is true that ATI has better AA than Nvidia... Just as it is true that Nvidia has better AF than ATI..

Personally I'd be wary to pick up an Nvidia based card due to all the drivers "problems" their creating...
You might not be getting what you're asking for when it comes to Image Quality, and the speed's seen in popular game benchmarks might not translate into real game speed at all...

BTW: what timeframe do you have on your purchase?
Both Ati and Nvidia is set to release new cards shortly, which might/should force prices lower, and thus giving you an even better card for your money...

Current rumours place the new cards around April...

well i definatly wont be getting it until end of feb when i get paid, if they are bringing out new cards then i might wait a bit longer for the prices to drop. but it looks like the radeon 9600 seems to the leader here

9500 I've found is more expensive than the 9600.. And depending on what 9600 you get, considerably more expensive...

If you do get a 9600, make sure you get the XT or at least the SE. The regular 9600 won't cut it if you are looking for good performance.

in any case dont go for the plain 5200. i have one, they suck. the image quality is pretty poor. try for the 5200 ultra they are a little faster and dont cost much more.

radeon 9500 performs better than the 9600 in some cases but may cost more and is harder to find. so in the end its up to you and your budget. if you want to spend that extra bit of money for the better performance or not. check out www.newegg.com for prices.

If the 9500pro is too expensive/hard to find, then go for the 9600pro...

The only reason I mentioned the 9500pro was that I've seen one or two going pretty cheap here in norway when compared to the 9600pro... But that might just have been a shop cutting prices to get rid of their excess stock...

The 9600 is a very good card, just check that you don't get a lower clocked version of it...
Newegg has a nice version here which is running a bit faster than regular speeds...

But whichever you get, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back