Which is safer? Always On Or Dial-up type access

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehacker

Hello guys,
I have a broadband connection. Just now I have configured it for always-on i.e. PPPoE connection. For that I had to create a new connection in my ADSL router page. Previously I was using Dial-Up Type access, ie. switch-on your PC and Dial a B.Band connection just as we dialed in Dialup internet Days.

I have seen many sites providing hacked ID/Password of my ISP. My ISP has Download/Upload Data limit of 1GB. So, I am worried that is it safer?
My logic for worriness is that when I used Dial-up type access my id/password was on my HardDisk. So, it was behind a firewall installed on my PC.
But as I "THINK"(I dont know actually) that in PPPoE connection I saved my ISP user id/pass on Modem/Router's page its saved in the modem's memory. So, I GUESS it is now unsafe.
Am I Right?
Any suggestions
Thanks in advance
TheHacker

Your modem router does contain a username and password used to access your account with your ISP, and if you leave the modem router admin password as default it is true that it can be hacked into via the IP address. There are bots that trawl for 'open' IP addresses. If left on 24/7 it increases the window of opportunity for it to be found.
If you power off your modem router it will reconnect when powered on again so I would recommend this is probably the best option. Also change the settings for responding to incoming pings if there is one - deny response is what you want.

nono...router id/pass is different than my ISP id/pass.
But i enteredmy isp id/pass in router page at 192.168.1.1

That's as it should be.
Do not leave the router admin password at default - most of them use admin/admin which is an open invitation!

I leave mine on when I was on DSL
just have good firewalls
as in the router itself blocking most open ports
and software like outpost firewall
but what the heck better safe than sorry
another good security tip
make 2 admin's
and go to the default
and change the name "administrator" to something else
when just playing on internet log in as the lowest user

Status
Not open for further replies.