Which is the fastest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to buy a new laptop and i am on a budget i can upgrade to these three options, which is the fastest option, by that i mean which one will make my laptop faster.

Option 1
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
  • 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
  • 80GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache

Option 2
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 1.66GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB
  • 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
  • 80GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache

Option 3
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 1.66GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB
  • 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
  • 100GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
This will be running on windows XP media center edition 2005 and the graphics card is the 128MB ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 I will be doing video editing and some mild gaming im not really worried about internal storage because i plan to buy an external hardrive to store all my movies on. Hope someone can help!

The first option will be the fastest (by a long shot in games). Beyond one gig may help you in Vista but save yourself and run WinXP.

I think Option 2 has a nice balance of power and speed. The extra gigabyte of RAM I think will make a big difference, more than the extra 20GB of hard drive space and speed. The processor also I think will not make a significant change in the performance, at least not as much as that extra RAM. But then again, you can always put more RAM in your laptop, not so much with the processor.

E6600 is not an option. These are laptop Core 2s and thus use a designation of Txxxx not Exxxx. The second option is the overall fastest setup, because it has more RAM, and if these are notebooks from a store, they probably have Vista on them, which means they will need a lot of RAM.

EDIT: Just noticed that they will be using XP MCE, not Vista. However, the second option is still the best because having lots of RAM allows you to multitask better, and to run more intensive applications.

Also just want to point out pdyckman, that the Core 2 E6600 is not 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2MBx2. It is a single 4MB cache that is shared between the CPUs, unlike the Pentium D in which each CPU has it's own cache.

Option #3
Reason: hard-drive 7200rpm vs 5400rpm
If your concerned with speed you will take a big hit with 5400rpm. 7200 is the standard now. Do you realize the difference that would make even with the better cpu? The data still has to be written, stored, etc. 33% slower!
Your running XP so 1GB ram is ok.
Your biggest problem is the graphics card. The X1400 isn't that hot and I believe it uses hyper-memory, which means it uses part of your system's ram. That would be a problem since you only have 1GB.
Also with laptops the cpu and video card are difficult if not impossible to upgrade so basically how you get it now you'll have to live with it. Ram can be added though.

Ok thanks alot guys but i have found an entirely better option in my price range.
Originally i was going to get a alienware m5550 with those specs but i have found the Sager NP2090 from xoticpc.com. Here are its specs
Intel core 2 duo T7300 2.0 GHz w/4MB L2 on-die cache 800MHz FSB
512 MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8600GT
1024MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS ) Dual Channel Memory
Or with ( 1 SODIMM ) without Dual Channel Memory (not sure which is better)
80 GB 7200RPM (Serial ATA 150)
This will be running on Windows Xp pro , it even has a fingerprint scanner and with shipping it will cost $1330. so what do you guys think?

That looks nice, all the specs seem decent. Having the memory in two sticks will make the machine a little faster since it can use dual channel, but having one stick leaves you room for future memory expansion. If you plan on going to 2GB in the near future, then I'd say go for the 1GB in one slot, if not, get it in two slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back