Which of you stll use a pentium 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinit90

i feel a alittle ashamed in revealing that i have a pentium 4 with 1gb ddr ram and 128 mb nvidia 6600gt.

i think that the weakest part in my pc is my processor.

so i just wanted to know that how many of people are there like me.

u got ur match

i had a pentium 3 earlier n it crashed so i got a celeron 1.7 n thats wat m using ryt now but i don feel ashamed of it. y shud i?
i payed for it n it produces just the enough sped required to run my applications, y shud i waste my money on getting anything extra which i might not even use.
make sense? i hope it does.. cheers

I Too Am InThe Ranks of the Alienated......!

I even have a Prescott P4: 519 3.06Ghz. Works fine! The Cedar Mill P4s (until yesterday anyway), represented a decent value in a processor which would work with all the new chipsets, 65nm process, 64 bit, execute disable and on. However, with the release of the C2D Allendales, and the massive price drop on the of Conroes (6x00 series) and Allendales, today the deal isn't so sweet. BTW, I just built a new machine with a DG965WH Intel board, I stuffed a Cedar Mill Celeron 356 (3.33Ghz) in it as a "placeholder", until the C2D price drop happened. If you don't try to do 8 things at once, it flies and people claim you can overclock them to 5Ghz!

Disclaimer: The 5Ghz overclock part is hearsay!

I have many systems that are older but still easily do what I need them to do. This lappie for instance is a piii700 with 192megs sdram. The game box is a xp1600 with a gf6800gt. The development box is a p4@3gHz with everything onboard. The game server is a dual athlon box with scsi subsystem, running a aid0 array for the games. Each are perfectly suitable for what they are used for, all this newer stuff is great, but far more than I need right now. I admit I am jonesing for a c2d and ati1950 system, gatta have power to game you know, more power is always better for games.

All in all, I imagine there are a lot of wasted clock cycles in the world about now with all these incredibly powerfull new cpus....

I'm not the smartest when it comes to computers but I do know what my processor is lol.

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz

I think part of being a computer enthusiest is knowing your computer elements and trying to make more out of what you have. All people here usually post their computer specs in their signature so the next man knows what they have and what they've done with it. Nothing wrong with having a p4, You could do a lot worse, trust me.

why feel ashamed of having a P4? many, many computers out there are still P4. I have a P4 that i still havent maxed all the way out yet and i get GOOD/GREAT gaming results on everything. VISTA WHAT? come on, not everyone clammers for the latest. yeah core 2 duo and vista may be nice, but i wouldnt even purchase vista until they release service pack 1. With the right hardware and OC'ing, you can have a decent P4 system to run

It is ridiculous to feel ashamed running a processor that's a bit old.

Having the most high-end hardware is ONLY symbolic of one thing: the amount of money one has.

Having high-end hardware does not make you any smarter/better.

It just means your computer runs a little faster. Owning the latest release of new technology each month just means you have money.

I can assure you, you will not be dubbed an "*****" or be a victim of discrimination for owning a P4. That would be absurd.

Pentium 5 isn't here yet

I might when they arrive,meanwhile i upgrade my P4.
But what else is there.
Did you mean Still use a P3 ?
My P4 upgrade.
asus P5S800-VM and "P4" dual 3.0 cpu with hyperthreading.
1 GB of ram is enough for most users.
You don't say what your cpu and size it is.

Hey, I use a Sempron 3000+ (socket 462) paired with 1GB of Corsair ValueSelect RAM, and I'm perfectly happy with it :)

...at least until I start looking at all these new gaming builds with their dual/quad core processors, $600 video cards...:D

zipperman said:
I might when they arrive,meanwhile i upgrade my P4.
But what else is there.
Did you mean Still use a P3 ?
My P4 upgrade.
asus P5S800-VM and "P4" dual 3.0 cpu with hyperthreading.
1 GB of ram is enough for most users.
You don't say what your cpu and size it is.

Actually Intel doesn't plan on releasing a Pentium 5. They decided to discontinue the Pentium series of CPUs.

Also you shouldn't be embarrased. I just upgraded from an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz. Now I have I a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane, I understand that both of those CPUs beat a Pentium 4, but my father is still using a Suckeron (Celeron) 1.3GHz.

I would also like to mention that your post was undetailed. When listing things such as you grahics card you should included the manufacture.

Example: eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS KO 256MB.

Not to mention that its supposed to be 1GB of memory not 1gb. Also if you could capitalize the the first letter in you senteces it would be appreciated.

I personally love my compy plays all my games on high and i'm using a P4 3.0Ghz HT with a good graphics card.

Thats not what your topic title asks

beef_jerky4104 said:
Actually Intel doesn't plan on releasing a Pentium 5. They decided to discontinue the Pentium series of CPUs.

Also you shouldn't be embarrased. I just upgraded from an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz. Now I have I a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane, I understand that both of those CPUs beat a Pentium 4, but my father is still using a Suckeron (Celeron) 1.3GHz.

I would also like to mention that your post was undetailed. When listing things such as you grahics card you should included the manufacture.

Example: eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS KO 256MB.

Not to mention that its supposed to be 1GB of memory not 1gb. Also if you could capitalize the the first letter in you senteces it would be appreciated.

Actually i find it hard to take this post seriously.Pentium 4 is the best there is.
So what kind of ? is that to ask ? I didn't do well in spelling class.
Thats very rude to correct gb.You know what the hell it means.
Besides it's Gb (Gigabyte).:knock:
So start a new topic titled
List your Computer devices and OS.
I use a custom designed P4 that suits my needs.
I listed my Pentium 4 components.It's not pentium :D
Would you like to ask "Are you still useing ISA or PCI video cards ?"

Did anyone else not get what beef_jerky or zipperman are arguing about? I mean beef_jerky wasn't right or even understandable but it's not that huge of a deal...

Edit: Ok actually it was pretty rude and unnecessary. Nvm.

Hanyway, I still use a P4 with a Gig of RAM. I keep going to Newegg and I see the E4300 and think "I could overclock that and have a sweet gaming box." But then I realize that my 3.06 Ghz P4 still does everything I need and can even play Oblivon on medium-high. It's tempting to want the newest and the greatest, but you have to think, "will I even use this any better than what I have?"

Hi,
I have a P4 3.0Ghz. with a high end video card.
1 GB DDR
Works fine for me ... does what I need to do.
I built this machine about 3 years ago and had very minor problems.
Rick

Horns of a dilemma.....

As I said in an earlier post I have a new machine I recently built and it has a few goodies in it.

3GB Kingston Value RAM DDR2 667 (Don't knock it, it's always recognized by every board I put it in, and always runs in dual channel when it's supposed to).

Intel DG965WHMK Media board. (Not overclockable)

EVGA 7600GT Video card

(2) 250GB WD2500 SATA 2 (for storage) & Seagate 80G "Barracuda" SATA 2 (system drive).
As you can see scince I'm not about overclocking, I installed a Celeron 356 to tide me over, or so I thought.

The Cedar Mill P4 (641 3.2Ghz) is $75.00 now. From what I've been able to determine from various reviews the P4 gets killed in multiple applications tests but doesn't fare too badly in running single apps, with the exception of those that have already been optimized for multiple processors. So, let's put a slightly different spin on this discussion. You can see I'm not what you could call a power user. I also have 2 other machines. Question; do you really need massive multiple applications performance when you can simply let 1 machine do it's thing and meanwhile go play with another? I am contemplating stuffing another processor in this thing, why I'm not sure. So, does anyone think that the P4 3.2 would be a demonstrable step up from my slightly faster Celeron 3.33. ($75.00 dollars worth of a step up). Or should I just go with the flow and plop a E6600 in the darn thing now that they're only $235.00 BIG BARGIAN! <(That option wins just on sheer greed). Tell me what you think, tell me what you might do.

captaincranky said:
As I said in an earlier post I have a new machine I recently built and it has a few goodies in it.

3GB Kingston Value RAM DDR2 667 (Don't knock it, it's always recognized by every board I put it in).

Intel DG965WHMK Media board. (Not overclockable)

EVGA 7600GT Video card

(2) 250GB WD2500 SATA 2 (for storage) & Seagate 80G "Barracuda" SATA 2 (system drive).

So you can see I'm not about overclocking, so I installed a Celeron 356 to tide me over, or so I thought.

If you overclocked your vga a bit it would be as good as a 7800

A 530j is good for basic computing.

I have five rigs running F@H 24/7, one is a Pentium 4 530j. I'm about to send it out to pasture--I'm going to make and give a rig to my brother-in-law using it and other used and new parts.

It is a good processor. It has some advantages over the 3200+ Venice I use in my wife's computer, just suffering, listening to winamp and azurus at the same time seem to run much better. The A64 bogs down with heavy multi-tasking.

I plan on upgrading my wife's rig to a C2D very soon and getting a 3800+ X2 for my second rig using her T-Force 6100 939 (if AMD doesn't just abandon the 939 before I do.:( )
sigimage.php

Greetings!

My main system as of now is a Dell Precision 340. Is uses the socket 478 Pentium 4 at 2 GHz. I could hyper-thread if I wanted to drop almost 200 bucks on the Extreme Edition of the Northwood model, but why bother? I don't run any software that's multi-threaded, so the performance gain would be negligible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back