Which one is better - 7600GT or 8600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTech

I am gonna buy a graphics card , just confused on which one to buy 7600GT or 8600GT

I would for sure go with the 8600GT due to it being DX10 capable. It will be more future proof than the 7600GT even though the 7600 is a great value for what it is.

The 8600 for sure out performs the 7600GT however people will give you bad feedback on it because it has not lived up to the hype of the past x600GT cards being able to wipe the floor with previous generations top cards.

The 6600GT topped the 5900 series, the 7600GT topped most of the 6800series, however the 8600GT fails to top what we expected would be the 7900GT or even GTX however it still isnt no slouch and is defiantly faster than a 7600GT. If I had to place it Id say right between a 7800GS and GTX performance wise however has DX10 capability.

Get the 8600GT it is a better investment for only $25 more...

hey jimshady23, does the 8600Gt use more power supply than 7600Gt and would the 8600GT work on my computer.

Specs: Windows XP Media center edition, Intel P4 3.20Ghz Cpu, 1024mb (512 x 2) RAM, 250gb HDD and yes i do have a PCI-E x16 slot.

So far DX-10 is a fig newton of somebody's imagination... words used as a place holder for what may be or might be or whatever. Nobody knows anything about the cards "capability" for utilizing DX-10 because, so far, there is no DX-10... It is merely a few letters signifying nothing.

Well

CTech said:
hey jimshady23, does the 8600Gt use more power supply than 7600Gt and would the 8600GT work on my computer.

Specs: Windows XP Media center edition, Intel P4 3.20Ghz Cpu, 1024mb (512 x 2) RAM, 250gb HDD and yes i do have a PCI-E x16 slot.

Do you know what type of power supply you have ? How many watts ?

Either way a 8600 should not draw much power at all, it does not even require a external power connection I do beleive.

Though it is still a smart idea to keep your PSU in line with what is recommeded by the factory for the card. The 8600GT from what I have seen, most manufactures of the 8600GT require a 400watt PSU...I dont think that is to far off with the 7600GT as far as requirments go.

And yes, DX10 will take off sooner or later, I think game developers are really just waiting for more people to transition into Vista before they make a real go of it. Right now 90% of your gamers are still using XP as it performs better with games compaired to Vista at the moment. However buying a card that could be outdated anyday is not a smart move. Even if he dont want DX10 right off the bat, it is still better to have, then to not have, just incase right ? Id rather spend the extra $25 then piss away $115 buying somthing that is outdated when I knew for sure there was somthing better out there for very few dollars more.

i would like to know does the 8600Gt have a VGA port, because my monitor only supports VGA

Technically No

Bad news is no, Just dual DVI. But it does come with a DVI to D-Sub (vga) adaptor so yes, you can use your monitor.

Also I seen your thread about how to find what type of PSU you have. Sorry to say it but I think Tedster is probably right about it being 350w which is very standard expecally of the P4 era. Also OEMs are not very well noted for putting quality PSU's in their computers so I would take the easy route and replace it.

If you are looking for a cheap alternative then this psu will do you fine, even with the 8600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

yeah i found out my PSU is 250w i know it sucks........................i have an Acer Aspire T660 is it possible to change PSU with branded like Acer comps or can u only change it with custom made comps

The 8600GT has far superior PureVideo decoding where all the HD stuff (x264, HDDVD, BluRay) is all handled onboard rather than the CPU taking a large portion. PureVideo won't have any affect on games, but it might be a point worth considering.

I'm running an XFX 8600GT XXX in my Dell E521 and it runs great. 350w minimum. My psu is 305w but 30-40% underrated (22a on 12v rails). The card is rated at 43w at atomic power. Vista scores: aero 5.9, gaming graphics 5.6 Many critics of the card but it serves my needs.

We agree. Many, many of these out there on a number of different machines. Except for the extreme gamer, this card performs very well. Reliability is unquestioned. Just keep the case cool and free of dust and hair in the summer. A $12 case fan is a big help.

raybay said:
We agree. Many, many of these out there on a number of different machines. Except for the extreme gamer, this card performs very well. Reliability is unquestioned. Just keep the case cool and free of dust and hair in the summer. A $12 case fan is a big help.
Yea well the good thing is that i already have proper cooling system. I got a cooling fan, some water tubes and the air conditioner is blowing rite on my computer

I would have to say the 8600GT mainly because it's DirectX 10 Compatible and it is more powerful :D .

Can't complain about my asus silent hdcp 8600gt, it beats the 7800gt in benches and games at lower res, but the 7800gt is slightly better at higher res.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back