Which Processor are you using / would u prefer?

Which Processor: do you have / would prefer to have ?!

• AMD (AMD Athlon or others)

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • Intel (Intel Pentium 4 or others)

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkFiNbowL

Which Processor do you have or would prefer to have as an upgrade?

AMD
Intel

Vote and give a comment... thx!

P.S. Sorry moderators, you can move the thread from my AMD vs Intel one in here or delete it .. i forgot to make poll.. Please forgive!!

Overclocked Barton 2500+ to 2.4Ghz would be nice.
Otherwise I'm waiting for a hammer and the new nForce3 board.

Both processors are great. you can't go wrong with either. The problem is the chipset and motherboard.

I used to be solidly in the Intel camp. Then I bought a KR7A-R and an XP1800 and decided AMD wasn't that bad but was kinda flakey. The big problem with AMD is the VIA chipset and drivers. After VIA sorted out their 4-in-1 drivers some more, AMD/VIA was as stable as any Intel processor/chipset combo I've built or used. Now, I think AMD/nForce2 is the best platform. There are issues that some people have with it like SATA RAID, analog audio and BIOS death. I've given up on SATA for the time being, I use the Dolby Digital output and my board (BIOS rev?) has no problem with BIOS death. They'll have to pry this system out of my cold dead hands.

Insimbi:

You could start your own thread about this, more people would see it and reply :) . To answer your question, I don't think a release date has been set as of today, this could be wrong as I don't usually follow the mobo news.

BTW, Welcome to Techspot :wave: !

I've always been an AMD builder. Good stability (like intel), good performance (like intel), and cheaper than Intel (unlike Intel)

It's kinda like the Nvidia vs. ATI debate, comes down to preference, personal experience, and price you're willing to pay.

make mine a 2.6 Ghz P4 with a 800mhz FSB a 875P chipset mobo and 1 GB or corsair PC 3200 ram.

cpu

gonna do the 3000+ barton, which is the limit of my current kt333 boardalready @300.............it'll drop further, when the hammer arrives........this will keep me up with a 3 gig pentium 4 for dirt cheap...........and the guys that buy first will regret it, due to scaling and revisions........stay behind the curve, and you'll profit

i will have an Athlon 64 - with 1gig of LL DDR 3200 Corsair RAM on an nForce 3 - with a Geforce FX 5900 on top please

Not sure though....next new rig would be in a year a so..AMD is possible...cheap and economical(not really when it comes to cooling) for a poor student like me.

Actually, Intel Pentium 4 Processors at 3.06MHz come equiped with 533FSB, I've never seen one with 800FSB. Personally, I'd go for the the 3.0GHz at 800FSB.

For everyone out there:
Intel owns AMD 99.9% on everything, it pwns AMD to the max on everything. The 0.1% left is price. Pirce is the only reason smart people (I'd say smart people) would buy an AMD processor, because it's cheaper.

Intel comes out ON TOP of AMD.

By the way, August 26, 2003, Intel is cutting back their processor prices by up to 55%, everywhere. Guess who's going to be even more in the lead? Intel. Intel owns. Intel dominates. Intel is the definition of performance.

Ok, just had to clear my mind. I'm not degrading AMD, I'm only stating the fact that Intel is way beter. So, please don't scream "stop flaming".

By the way, all you AMD lovers: keep loving AMD. You're helping the Intel lovers by giving them a cheaper price for Intel processors.

I'm not degrading AMD, I'm only stating the fact that Intel is way beter.
That hardly sounds like you are not degrading AMD, although I will agree with you that Intel does dominate performance wise. They will do a lot better once their prices are lowered, who knows :) .

http://www.aceshardware.com this guy doesn't even know the fsb of the intel processors.......what a crack up..........an overclocked 3000+ competing against a 3gig p4 800fsb w/hyperthreading enabled......a 3200+ and a 5333fsb 2.8 p4............i don't want to here it.............just more money than brainspuke:

listen to yourself buttbreath

"intel owns"......"intel dominates"......now it's intel has to overclock to beat a 3000+....with a 3200+ out there..with hammer on the horizon.....it's a race............we are not amd lovers either.......we just engage brain before inserting foot

OMG bashing each other because of personal preferences is just plain a waste of time. The question is which processor you prefer. I currently use an AMD in my main machine but strongly prefer Intel procs. My future processors will be Intel for some time to come. XtR-X obviously prefers Intel also - no need to bash him - in fact, he thanked all the AMD lovers out there. Price/performance in the midrange CPU speed goes to AMD for sure. On the high-end CPU range that line gets kind of blurred/crossed.

LNCPapa

i here ya

i guess that's what happens when you come out and cockadoodle doo.................crow, for those of you who do not understand my meaning, alex..........hehe:punch:

I HEARD that to match a Pentium with an AMD, subtract 400 from the AMD rating and if it was 3000, subtract 400, it gives you 2600, then move the decimal over to the left three times and you've got GHz in comparison to Pentium.

It may be 300, or even 200.

BUT I HEARD. This IS NOT a fact but seems reasonable.

I m not sure about that. As far as i know, XP3000+ though having a lower clock speed is expected perform like a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 similarly a XP2800+ is expected to perform like a 2.8GHZ Pentium4.

That calc couldn't possibly be right, as it is not proportional, but fixed difference that you state. Imagine a P4 @ 400 MHz, that would imply that an equivalent Athlon would be rated at 0 MHz, which means that it would effectively be switched OFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back