Which Sound Card would you recomend for windowsXP gamers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameAddict

Which Sound Card would you recommend for windowsXP gamers?

I have windows XP, soundblaster live platinum 5.1, 4 speaker surround sound dolby digital, and AMD Athlon xp 2000.

I am about ready to rip the sb Live out and give it too my dog as a play toy. I'm so tired of calling creative, and game companys trying to fix this card to work w/ all my games.

Most problems I have w/ it is EQ-Music gets caught in loops- DS and NWN the music sounds funny and EAX always turns my rear speakers off and the only way to fix it is to go to control panel and switch it back to 4 speakers because it mysteriously switches too 2 speakers when I start up some games w/ EAX enabled.

So what I want is a card with dolby digital, EAX 3 and nice surround sound that WILL work with windows XP.

Seems like everywhere you look Creative is the favored card. I was thinking of a Hercules Game Theater XP or Videologic SonicVortex 2. Then again I was wondering if the new Creative Labs SB Extigy may be worth a shot. But I have just had such bad experiences with my current creative card since I upgraded to XP.

Thanks for whatever help you can give.
EDIT: Why does it say sould card in my title even tho i edited it? hehe

Originally posted by GameAddict
So what I want is a card with dolby digital, EAX 3 and nice surround sound that WILL work with windows XP.
Based on that it sounds like you want an Audigy, they are the only Soundcards that do EAX Advanced HD - the Extigy only uses it in Playcenter.

Course if XP compatibly is *really* a big thing then the Santz Cruz has the best XP drivers around. Not so good in the gaming arena though.

Thanks, I have heard that audigy and Windows XP have lots of "issues". hehe
Most the retailers in my area have either sound blasters or hercules cards for sale. Unless of course I order from the net.

Originally posted by GameAddict
Thanks, I have heard that audigy and Windows XP have lots of "issues". hehe
Most the retailers in my area have either sound blasters or hercules cards for sale. Unless of course I order from the net.

I'm not trying to plug Newegg (www.newegg.com) or anything but they tend to have the best prices and are really good at RMA's and quick delivery. I have an Audigy X-Gamer card, and it works fine for me and I have XP Pro. I would head over to Newegg if I were you and pick one of if you feel you really need one, but if your going to feed your old card to the dogs, I'll be glad to take it off your hands!!! :D

I've also heard about the issues with XP, but I think they're mostly isolated incidents, and can be fixed with the newest drivers.

I'd recommend the Audigy Platinum(with Audigy Drive), I haven't seen any problems with them first hand and know several people who have them. I'm about to purchase one myself for my new rig.

Personally I have two SB Live Platinum's(w/ LiveDrive) and have had no problems from them either in XP Home or Pro.

I have heard of problems with the Live! that were linked to VIA chipsets (a crackling or sizzling sound coming from the speakers) but it was supposedly fixed with a driver update or something, I can't remember because I never encountered the problem myself or had to deal with it. I'm sure you could find info about it if you asked around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back