Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi guys,

We just wanted to ask you a simple question. My dad currently has this machine:

Celeron D 335 @ 2,81 Ghz
Biostar P4M800 Mobo
ATI 9600XT video card
768 MB RAM

But since I've just ordered my E4300, I'm gonna give him my current PC parts, but the main problem is that he can't buy yet a good GPU (7600 GT), so he would have this setup:

Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.4 Ghz
Biostar Tforce 6100-939 mobo
Integrated Geforce 6100 graphics
1 GB DDR 400 Single channel RAM

The question is, which system would perform better? He mainly plays GTA: SA, some FS9, and NFS Most wanted.

Thanks! :)

If he isn't a gamer, the second one. It has a better cpu, and more memory, which increases performance out of gaming. The 6100 is probably fine for light gaming like Sim City or something :) .

Just slap a GDDR3 7300GT in there. Seriously, the GDDR3 versions of the 7300GTs are a good bit more powerful than a 6600GT. Don't let the 7300 part fool you, seriously they are G73s, and they have specs often better than 7600GS, but they cost like $75-80. Only problem is they are hard to find. I don't know if newegg has any because it's not working for me :(

Newegg wasn't working for me yesterday; it kept "x'ing" out the pictures and had odd formatting. It kept asking me if the page was alright as well. They must have changed their systems or something. I think the problem for me was my browser, IE 6. I don't use firefox due to the lack of ActiveX controls, and IE 7...well...I installed it but I had no connection, and to troubleshoot, I unintalled it. Stupid router cord :mad:

Thanks guys for your replies. He mainly plays GTA: San Andreas, Flight Simulator 9, and NFS: Most wanted. I really don't know if a 6100 can play those games.

And thanks for the 7300GT suggestion MetalX, but he plans to buy a 7600GT ;)

I agree with cfitzarl, the second system would be better than the first. Less of a processor and memory bottleneck.

Ok, we'll try it out. I also think that the Athlon system should perform better. The CPU is MUCH, MUCH more powerful than the Celery D, but maybe the 9600XT is way faster than any onboard IGP.

Thanks guys :wave:

I've heard the 6100 graphics are fairly decent (for on board). Since the 9600XT is a fairly old gpu, they may match up. Give it a shot and let us know what happens.

Well, performance in GTA and FS9 will likely be better or comparable.

NFS will be a big nosedive though. It's up to him if he can suffer with reduced settings and poorer performance there until he can get a budget PCI-E 3d card.

I don't think a IGP could play NFS and GTA:SA, I think for now he should stick with 9600XT until he gets something that could fit into the second one.

The GeForce 6100 would be able to play both reasonable well on lower settings.

It managed to play San Andreas, but at low FPS, in a 640x 480 resolution. But amazingly, it played NFS Most wanted (of course @ 640) pretty good :)

But still the Celeron D system performs faster... The GPU makes a big difference.

Thank you a lot guys :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back