Which Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt_Subtext

Hi guys I primarily use my PC for gaming and media and remember reading something about Vista Ultimate being the best for gaming, tho this was a while back and I cant find the article again, but out of curiosity which version will you guys be going for if your making the jump, home premium or Ultimate? Money really isnt an issue when I come build my new PC over the next month or so but I dont want to be buying ultimate at a greatly increased cost if its not going to be best for gaming..... ive tried trolling the sites to see if there is any information myself but im having no luck!

If you are a gamer, I would strongly urge you to wait until the first Service Pack for Vista is released. Video cards and drivers are very much limited for Vista and the Vista computers need a lot of memory and very large hard drives. Many of todays popular games won't run on Vista right now. Does this scare you? It should!

I don't recommend vista for anything. There aren't any improvements except some visual bells and whistles and there are some very big drawbacks.

Tedster said:
I don't recommend vista for anything. There aren't any improvements except some visual bells and whistles and there are some very big drawbacks.

Well said Tedster,
I'll build a "special" system to test Vista on soon. I'm sure Vista might just become the flagship MS OS (after a few Service Packs) in the next few years. Until then, my main machine will remain XP Pro

I agree with Tedster. I built a new system with Vista in mind, but NOT until at least the first Service Pack is out and some of the bugs are ironed out. Microsoft is pushing this os and no doubt it will be the os we'll be forced to upgrade to within the next 2 years, but at this point, DX10 is about the only thing I'm looking forward to. It'll take a couple of years for games that explicitly run on DX10, but we'll have that force fed to us as well. This will, as usual, up the cost to the consumer due to the high system specs to run Vista and the price of all hardware to upgrade to in order to get decent performance.

Say No To Vista !!!

I say if everyone says no to Vista and Direct X 10 it will force game makers to look for other alternatives for game development....If game makers opt to use a form of openGL and bypass DX10 but can get DX10 quality it may force MS to make another alternative avaliable to us gamers that are happy with XP and dont wnat to have to make a $300 upgrade.

But I agree with the others....DX10 is about the only thing going for Vista at the moment....

I guess the only way MS can "FORCE" everyone to upgrade is to totally drop support for XP....It wouldnt be a good move on their part, but we are already past the time frame that MS promised support for XP when it was released.
I think they promised 5 years of support...???

Yeah, see I am a gamer and am only going to make the jump to Vista for DX10 games such as Crysis but dont know which version to get, the ultimate or the home premium, which one is best for games was the original question, or will be best for games?

I know its going to be as bug ridden as a sexual health clinic for the first couple of years but ive taken it into consideration of having a duel boot system or keeping my current rig XP and my new build Vista.

I only saw 1 article months ago mentioning Ultimate was going to be better for games than any of the others. That was also around the time people were claiming other things that turned out to either not be true or Microsoft adjusted.

I'd say you'll be fine with Home Premium. Perhaps try a google search with Vista version Games, or even a google news search.

Tried that, it just kept on commin up with links for sites talking about how gaming sucked in the beta....or release to manufacturers versions nothing about which version to be released would be best, think I must have read the same article as you but now I cant find it, plus id have figured there would be new info considering the release is only a few days away now.... :S

Newegg, among others, started selling Vista Monday of this week so the waiting is over.

wallabing said:
I will buy basic retail, as soon as I have the money to buy it.....

That basic retail is the Vista Home basic I think... Vista Business is available January 30... or now, as the case may be... MSRP $199.95 yikes!

I read some articles around Christmas about the versions of Vista. For a gamer, the Home Premium version should be all that a gamer will need. The ultimate leans more towards Windows 2000/Server editions and contains the full Media package. If you're not going to use those options, I see no need to spend the additiona $100-150 on the Ultimate version. I'm waiting on my version of the Home Premium in the mail (got it for $79 through Newegg by purchasing another copy of XP Home that I used when I upgraded my daughter's computer), but I dont' have any plans on upgrading until either SP1 or Crysis hit the street.

Buy the ultimate full retail version. As with other offers, they always leave something out. Better have a graphics card, recommend nvidia, which is what I am running. The e6600 cpu is cheap, installed 64 bit, will take a year for everyone to catch up. If you have a sata storage drive, then you may get stuck downloading a patch.
Vista recognized I needed a download from nvidia. So apparently they also offer downloads under microsoft that got a download elsewhere.
With the boost technology, vista is screaming fast, highly recommend using 4gb flash memory also with 2 gig of fast ram.
I really like Vista.
That being said, this new program has options to make your system better automatically. I score 5.5 out of 10. I also bought the best of everything. But saved money by not buying the most expensive. Like Corsair memory I bought the 8500cd for 375.00, I could have spent more then twice that amount. Unless your a serious tweeker, which I am not, just match everything to 1066 hz. I thank that is pretty good being cpu, mobo, and ram all all equal yet able to upgrade.
I found that you can buy the programs on ebay for a 30 percent discount. But be carefule and read the fine print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back