Who/what can i trust more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red reaper0

Here are my 2 questions

1st) I bought a computer directly from the HP company and on the box It says the RAM is 256mb pc2700. Then I used PC-Doctor ( Runs tests to see if parts of computer are working right and gives system info ). Anyways it says the RAM is 256mb pc 3200. The question I have is does it matter what kind of RAM I buy for the computer or does it have to be PC2700 or PC3200 specifically? If it needs to be the specific type should I trust what the box says ( the hp website too ) or what the PC-Doctor says?

2nd) I have 2 memory slots with 2gb available memory ( 1 slot has 256 and the other has none ) so I can take out the first slots 256 and then place a 1gb RAM in both of the 2 spots right? ( just making sure so I dont mess nothing up )

If you know this stuff plz help and if not thanks for reading the thread.

1 )
None. Check on the memory stick itself.
Download sisandra from SiSoftware and do a memory bandwith test. If the numbers are in the 2000's it's probably pc2700, if it's high 3000, low 4000, it's pc3200.

Dell might have put a 3200 because thats what they had in stock. If so, cool for you.
PC-Doctor might get some wrong informations. A hardware's bios might be wrong or simply PC-Doctor can't find a perfect match for the product and theres some sort of deductive code that matches it with the closest match it has in database. Which would be the pc3200 it's displaying.

You can never be 100% sure. I had a celeron processor that showed up as a p2. I had a video card with an r480 gpu core, but it showed up as r423.

You have to check on the piece of hardware itself.
Benchtests can also give you an idea .. but you can't be 100% sure with them.

2) Yes.

I would recommened using CPUZ Unzip the all the files using windows unzip or winzip wich every you perfer, nothing has to be installed.

Then click were you saved it and double click on the icon with a little chip, then click the memory tab, then you will see frequency then if it's running at 400 it's most likely pc300

Post back and tell ok?? and like said before it should say on the ram or in bios or othere members have better programs...

Best of Luck...

if you have pc3200 that's even better..... and yes it does matter what RAM you buy. Always make sure they're the name name, brand, type, and size and that it will work with your motherboard. (RTFM). Being it is storebought, you may have to look on the manufactuer's website.
(or simply go on crucial.com - I don't recommend crucial memory though.)

Don't mix and match speeds of memory either. PC3200 with PC2700. At best it will only work as fast as the slowest speed - at worst it won't work at all.

red reaper0 You have multiple threads running for exactly the same subject.

I have removed your other threads, leaving this one open.

Please do not start any more threads for this subject.

I was guessing that if he is buying 2gigs of memory .. he wouldn't be buying to different brands.

Most of the time PC4000 to PC2700 will work. It will just clock down to the PC2700. what will create errors is comapany brands. But if you stay withing let's say OCZ, you won't get any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back