Why do I have so many start up apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

munch2477

Whenever I load up my laptop I always have around 62 processes running without touching anything and my computer says it is at 100% cpu usage. Can I do anything to change this?

try this tool but carefully figure out what the startup progs do before removing them. better disable them first.

I opened the tool but it doesnt seem like every start up process is in there. Like I said I have about 62 processes running at startup. In the tool it looks like there are only 20-25 things shown.

Pacman's Starup Portal is an excellent place for you to start.. The site explains the problem, what to look for, and also provides a database of startups you can use to find more info about the startups you are finding on your computer

There is a comprehensive list of start-up entries right here at Techspot. https://www.techspot.com/startup/ Also, Spybot has something very similar to Mr. Lin's "startup control panel", built into it under the "tools" tab. This is available only in Spybot's "Expert" mode.

Footnote: Many sites with startup program information get their data from Pacman's Portal. This includes Techspot (see bottom of Techspot's startup info page). So, one can choose whichever site's display format they prefer but no need to check the content of both.

1- Windows starts a lot of services and some are not necessary
2- Many applications have an autoupdate service and that gets started with every boot :(

I hate autoupdates as I'm on a laptop and battery power gets wasted letting them all run.

I uses every config option available to disable autostarts and if there isn't one for a specific application, I use Spybot S&D to disable it via
Mode->advanced
tools->startups
uncheck the box on anything that says autoxxxx.​

Run it once under an Admin ID and again user your user-login (lua) account.

I'm down to 40 processes running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back