Why doesn't this LapTop Boot Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to help my cousin with her TOSHIBA 5105-S607 LapTop which has not worked for her in a year or two. She had a few 'friends' look at it and they told her it was 'fried'. I brought it home, realized the battery was probably sone dead, so plugged in the AC adapter and hit power on. Got an imediate error in which I failed to write down (stupid me), powed it back off and on, "selected boot machine with last known good config" and it came up! Nice......... I went immediately to try to get to the internet through my cable ISP and it worked fine. I went to Windows Download and found she needed about 22 updates for her WINXP Home OS which I downloaded and restarted the PC as told noticing she didn't have SP2 installed. My Therory was correct and that once I downloaded all the 'old' updates she had, Windows Update would come back with "do you want to install SP2" which I elected to do. That was the end. Now when I try to power this beast up, I get to the screen that gives me the option to select Safe Mode, safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command prompt, Reboot with last known Config, and Restart Windows Normally. None of those options now work. Is it possible that the Battery is so dead and the AC adapter may also not be any good so the PC just stops? Appareciate any help. Thanks much. Larry...

I highly doubt it is a power issue. It appears that the issue is with Windows somehow. There was some setting that got screwed up when installing SP2. Have you tried doing a repair install?

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

Thank you for your response and thanks to TS special forces. Being a newbie, I will be sure to read "A guide to making a good Post'. When you say a repair install, how would I go about doing that?

You use the XP installation CD. The instructions are here.

Did the XP SP2 installation complete before you had the problem? If so, I would try using an XP installation CD with SP2. If the SP2 installation did not complete, use an installation CD with SP1.

This machine did not come with an XP installation CD. It has three CD labeled TOSHIBA Recovery and Applications/Drivers CD for Satelitte 5105 Series. Would those be the recovery CD's to re-install XP?

New News. After playing around and removing reinstalling memory, this beast is showing me the initial MS WINXP HOME screen @ startup then follows up with an error message "Isass.exe password incorrect trying to update password the return status indicates the value provided as the current password is not correct." When this thing did boot successfully, it never requested a PW so I don't know what's promting this. I did some searching in the forum and other sites and it says something about a PW required for the BIOS. Anyway to get around that? Thanks Much..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back