Why it shows this error when i start my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tru_Snoop

Hey guys;

before I write anything........Do I have to reinstall my windows XP System after my new motherboard is intalled in my computer. Because NCIX technician (who installed my new motherboard) said that I have to reinstall windows xp for computer to work properly.......Do I need to?

My PC Specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (no Sp1 or Sp2 installed)
Case: NETLINK 18IN 350W ATX 3688 CASE /W FRONT USB PORT P4 READY
Motherboard: ASUS A7V880 SOCKETA KT880 DUAL DDR AGP 5PCI SATA SOUND 1000LAN MOTHERBOARD
CPU: AMD ATHLON XP 2100+ 256K 266FSB SOCKET A RETAIL BOX
CPU Heatsink: VANTEC AEROFLOW SOCKETA cpu cooler TMD 5600RPM 35.5CFM
Memory: 512MB PC2700 DDR333 SAMSUNG RAM
Video Card: ABITR9550-128CDT RADEON 9550 128MB DDR AGP8X
Hard Drives: 2 X ( WD CAVIAR 80GB INT ATA/100 HD 3.5LP 9MS 8MB 7200RPM OEM)
Anti-virus: Kaspersky Antivirus Personal 5.0.121
Firewall: Zone Alarm Pro 5.5.062.011
cASE FANS = 4 FANS (2 INFLOW, 2 OUTFLOW)

I just intalled (actually NCIX installed it) new mother board into my computer. It is ASUS motherboard. As you guys can see I have two hard drives in my computer. When I start my computer it gives me this error in the black screen..................

"Pri Slave Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace.
Press F1 to Resume"

What is this error?
What I need to do?

Also, Now sometimes I get an error saying "Hard Drive need s to be Formatted. Do you want to format your hard drive? Press OK or Cancel", when I try to double click and try to go into my Second Hard Drive (Hard Disk D:)..........what does that mean?

thanks guys..

yes you will have to reinstall windows because, the version of windows you have on your hdd still contains the drivers for your old mobo, and wont work with the new mobo.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Recently we did just that. And, because XP is so cool, it redetected and loaded all the drivers for the new mobo and seemed to work just fine, and stable.
The only diff is that the two mobos were same manufacturer but an upgraded board. Thus the software was similar enough to where it wouldn't have issues.

But believe me, I've seen my fair share of mobo upgrades that Windows went berzerk on.

SMART is a self diagnostic system & if it reports that the drive has gone bad, I suggest you do a backup of your important files quickly before doing anything else.

Redetect resources

I have not yet attempted this with win XP.
In windows 98 & 2k I would go into device mgr and remove everything
related to the hardware I was exchanging untill I had to reboot.
Then installed new hardware. Windows redetected everything just
like fresh install.
I wonder tho if Xp's AI would see the resource change requiring re-activation.
It seem even ghosting to new bigger HDD is e-nuff to trigger it..
also try a HDD utility from western dig to be sure the drive is still ok.
G'Luck

f you change your motherboard or your CPU to something that is different to what you had, you should always reinstall Windows. When you install Windows, it sets up a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which is essentially a reference list of the components in your PC that Windows checks every time it starts. The installation is essentially built around the hardware listed in the HAL.

If something significant changes and the HAL is not modified, Windows freaks out. The motherboard is host and translator for just about every component on your PC through the two main chipsets. If you change this to a different model, sure you can do a repair install to get Windows working again but sooner or later you will probably experience errors. The CPU is a similar situation because of the way one model of CPU might process information compared to the way another model of CPU does.

If you're changing your Windows hard drive, you should probably do this too, but it doesn't have as much importance as the chipsets and CPU.

For anything less than either of those two, you're fine. All you really should do is uninstall and then remove the old device before you put a new one in - hence the existence of handy driver removal tools like Driver Cleaner.

Vigilante
Cheers I managed to download the dll but still getting blue screen and boots up to my network driver that is not networked! Goes round in circles, cannot find hard drive, I then have to disconnect my hard drive and move jumpers... think it is a BIOS setting?????????????? BIOS boots up to disk, cd, and network, can't find hard drive...pulling hair out!!!!! but thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back