Why upgrade a Motherboard????

Status
Not open for further replies.
:cool: If I have to change my Motherboard a " Intel (wasp) Socket 478 Pentium 4" is there any need to upgrade or just put the same one in? Mine fried my Raid controllers out. Thanks for any advice on Motherboard upgrades.
:suspiciou Will I get any speed or other benefits from a upgrade?

Gateway 710XL
3.4Ghz
1024MB Ram P3200
audigity 2 ZX
Nvidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
D875PBZ Motherboard
Onboard Raid controllers (82801EB/ER) (ICH5/ICH5R) SATA & PATA

depends

That depends on a lot of things- the first thing I would ask is .....are you sure it's the mobo's fault? Not PSU, or other hardware problems.

It's a good board and chipset, lots of CPU support, 4 GB RAM capable, etc., but it is a 478 socket. Looks like 800MHz max FSB. Do you game? Heavy? Do you want to? It has AGP 8x, but no PCIe slot. It all depends on what you currently use/need it for, and for how much longer.

If you intend to stay with Intel over the long haul, an LGA775 should be considered. If you're satisfied with what you're doing with it, seems like there is still space for updating with that board for a good while, but not too long. Faster RAM's, higher FSB's, and larger caches now being prevalent, you may begin to feel left behind, so you might wanna look at your budget, your plans, and consider this to be the time to upgrade.

Just my humble opinion- :wave:

Thanks for the advice>>>>

Thanks a lot Hewybo, The motherboard I have is a "Intel (wasp) Pentium 4 Motherboard NO CPU R2 [part#2521148] Socket 478. Intel Desktop board D875PBZ. Its a Gateway 710XL computer. It seems like I fried out my raid controller. I did the unthinkable "unpluged a wire while computer was running and then while pluging it back in it sparked and shut down my computer during a reformat. Now it will not allow me to load my Raid drivers off of the Gateway "Red Driver" Disk. I can run off of one harddrive but not 2 using Raid. I've tried everything and am sure it is fried. From what I've read that raid chip runs more than just the Raid controllers.
Gateway says I need the same because of what they have added on to the computer, and may run into trouble if I go anything else.
And yes I do Game heavy, but my system seems to do real good.
Gateway 710XL
Pentium 4 3.4Ghz
800Mhz FSB
2 Maxtor 250 GB
Audigy 2 ZX
Nvidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
Hyper Threading
*was Raid 0*

:angel: Would it be to my best interest to replace with the same or upgrade? If upgrade can you help me with which one that will fit in to my case and work with what I have? :angel:
Hey and thanks a lot for your time you have spent with me. :bounce: If I can be of any help to you let me know. Your Friend Mike Moody

my opinion

I looked over your system, and you've already got a lot of money tied up in just the basic system! Plus- PC mag gives it high grades in most areas.

As far as upgrading goes, your mobo is ATX form factor, so virtually any ATX mobo will fit. As I said before, a lot of this depends on how satisfied you are with what you've got. The retail on it that I saw was around $3600. That's a bunch. Upgrading can give you more options on things like gaming, as you can get a mobo with PCIexpress, which is the way things are heading. However, your case, has limited expansion room (drive bays, etc.), so then you might wanna look at a new case. Then.....

In other words, more and more money, on top of your already considerable investment. In short, my opinion, and I am NO expert , is that you should just get another D875PBZ, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that Windows will not see any significant hardware changes, and the hassles that can follow when it does.

You can find the board around $150 USD, and you'll have your system back again with minimum chaos. You'll be able to run up to 4GB RAM, and geForce has just introduced a 7800 AGP video card, so your gaming wouldn' be that limited. Ordinarily, I'd say upgrade as far as your budget stretches, but you've got so much invested already- I say replace with the same board.

Others around here will undoubtedly differ, but that is my opinion. Good Luck!! :knock:

Hewybo your the MAN!!!!!!!!!

Hewybo you just made a believer out of me. I think I will go with the same motherboard ( I found one online for $139.00) at a place called "Logical Plus" do you know anything about them? (http://store.yahoo.com/logicalplus/inwaso478pe4.html. Take a look if you like. I'm trying to find out right now if it is a brand new or maybe a refurbished motherboard. I hope they are a legit place and the MOBO is new, and I will buy.
:) Once again I want to thank you for your help. some times we need a second opinion, it makes us feel better about what we are about to do. Your advice now has me going in the right direction. :grinthumb
Hey keep up the good work, you have made a friend for life. :stickout:
I have never changed a MOBO but here goes next week. OH and I will look up that Nvidia 7800 AGP card too. May upgrade to that too, but hate to get rid of my Nvidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra. It is an expenive card.
Again Hewybo ask of me and you shall receive with in reasons. Thanks man.

um

I didn't see your exact mobo listed at that site? Didn't see any 875 Intels at all.
Lemme check- try here, if that vendor doesn't really have it in stock: http://www.spartantech.com/product.asp?PID=IND875PBZLKOEM&m1=be

The ones I saw there (your site) were 845 & 865. Different chipset could equal Windows hesitations. To be SURE what you have before you buy, download this: http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/ (free), and you will have detailed specs to match up to.

When you get the mobo, pay close attention to the way your current one comes out, be certain to buy and use an anti-static wrist strap , and take your time. It's a simple, mechanical process. Exercise caution when you remove the heatsink/fan from the processor, be sure to have some Arctic Silver5 thermal paste- www.arcticsilver.com- you will find instructions on their site for removing old paste, and installing new. That process is the most critical of the operation.

I know you can do it- 1 1/2 years ago- I touched my first computer- I have since built 3, in large part thanks to this site. Any problems, just post. Many here (myself included) will be happy to assist! :grinthumb :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back