Widescreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thinking of purchasing the 19in samsung widescreen syncmaster 931aw does anyone have any advice on this monitor

Consider going up to a 20.1 or slightly larger. If you already have a 19" regular lcd monitor, you might notice that the new 19" widescreen is a bit shorter so you won't be getting the same height you're used to. To be sure, go to a retail store and check out the monitor sizes.

I've been considering a widescreen monitor myself but haven't decided yet. Some games do but some games do not support widescreen monitors.

Ok yeas it is a good price, but come on who has heard of Chimei, you might bebetter off with the samsung or a viewsonic, lg. I know less known companies sometimes make products for the big brands but still it this case who knows, most of the time it pays to buy brand name. So if you want a bigger mointer try to get an Samsung, LG, Dell, Viewsonic, Acer, Gateway, etc.

Yeah Acer is probably one of the better companies when it comes to monitors but I didnt really look at the brand when I picked... I just saw 22" LCD widescreen and had a price really cheap so eh :haha:

FWIW, I bought a 17" LCD Chimei, branded CMV, for my parents when I built their PC. While I had not heard of the brand before at the time, I took a chance. It works great, looks great and had no dead pixels. Got it from Newegg.

I received a MAG 19" LCD widescreen for this past Father's Day. I'll have to admit, it's excellent for gaming, but you have to be careful on what res you run some of them at. I usually run mine at 1440x900 for the majority of games that support widescreen. They quality is fantastic, but as I said, some resolutions aren't that great. Some (if not set to widescreen or not supported) games will cut off the screen on the right or left sides a little. Some will stretch the screen a bit so you'll have that shorter, stubby feel to the screen. None are that noticeable to the point where you can't run the games, but they're really noticeable when your at a startup screen with text, but not the game itself (or at least not noticeable enough). If the game doesn't support widescreen resolutions, my favorite is 1280x1024. Even with this minor detail, the graphics are much more crisp and lifelike. Also, the space they take up and the weight differential is incredible.

GeekieNick101 said:
Ok yeas it is a good price, but come on who has heard of Chimei, you might bebetter off with the samsung or a viewsonic, lg. I know less known companies sometimes make products for the big brands but still it this case who knows, most of the time it pays to buy brand name. So if you want a bigger mointer try to get an Samsung, LG, Dell, Viewsonic, Acer, Gateway, etc.
I've been looking at one of those 22" monitors, and after doing some research, it seems like a lot of the panels themselves, if not all in this size are made by ChiMei, including Dell, Viewsonic, and Acer. So, if that is true, I would probably go with one of the better know brands, like Dell, Viewsonic, etc. And I will probably get it from Newegg. IF, they are all basically the same, I will be influenced by the return policy at Newegg, in some cases the warranty for the first year, is handled by Newegg, which I have dealt with in the past and trust, and they have fast service. Some are handled by the manufacturer, and I don't have any experience with them.

For instance, check out the return policy on these at Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010190020+1309822582&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back