wifi connection not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
depressed

desperate is the word. I have tried several times to activate my wireless network with no success. I have limited or no connectivity due to icorrect IP the IP does not match the one I get of the internet and I dont know how to resolve this issue I am using atheros 5004g (seems a lot of probs with this) but can anyone help me please :mad:

can you provide a bit more info? pc specs, recent changes, was it working before/never tried it etc, how you're set up (internet->router->pc/laptop etc) and any other relevent info..

tell me if i'm wrong but this is a intergrated wifi adaptor for a laptop?

update drivers and anything else, try going direct ethernet connection to the router/modem etc.. then follow my instructions here

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=44117

to get your ip configs, but dont do the reseting your wifi adapter yet...

ok.. now tell me how your internet access is set up.
eg:
internet -> ADSL modem -> wireless router etc.. any other pc's/laptops on the network...

have you tried updating your drivers?
what other troubleshooting meathods you tried?

try and give us a bit more feedback and stuff because it is crucial to be able to help you.. dont worry if you dont have the lingo or it sounds weird.. its all part of the learning process.........

wifi no connectivity

Like I said I am not fully conversant with pc,

I recently upgraded my aol connection to platinum which gave me a free router a thompson speed touch.
I loaded the cd and followed the instructions which gave me 5 green lights saying I was up and ready
when I tried to go for wireless connection I entered my ssid and network key.
everything came on screen showing me signal strengh etc but a message came up limited or no connectivity I tried to repair wifi but the response I got back was wrong IP address and that is as far as I went
thinking of changing to linksys lol

ok thats alright.. as long as you can describe things its all good.. i'll try and slow down abit for you :D

now, can you access your router? its usualy inside internet explorer, address being 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 otherwise there's a shortcut software somewhere ->if you still have your router manual, see what it says about this..

if you can access the configuration software on the router, then check and note the SSID, Network channel, any encryption and passwords and other info are correct. for both pc/laptop and router must have the same info for it to work, and lettering cases (aA) matters.

goto [start>all programs>accessories>communications>Network setup wizard]
read it through and click next etc. it should be self explanitory. any questions just post back to us. Note that you have to choose the "this computer connects to the internet through another computer or a residential gateway" option.

reboot if prompted. then goto your wireless adaptor manager software (the thing that controls your wifi card and you can find networks and type in info on how to connect to them etc) and find your router again throught that, configure the passwords, names etc to what you've written down from the router's info. make sure its the same everything - spaces, spelling, UPPER/lower case etc..

then try and connect. if it still fails, give us what error msg it gives you this time then continue on the rest of the steps

go to [start>run] and in the box type in "cmd" without the " ".
in command, type in "ipconfig router address" so it should look something like:

C:/Documents and settings/user> ipconfig 192.168.0.1

and then press enter. note if any packets are lost or all recieved ok and post back

sorry for the extended post, and i hope you can understand all that hehe... see how it goes :)

Hey N3051M...saw this thread and ive gotta say that im kinda in the same position as "highlander". my home pc (eojeojeoj) has broadband internet and a netgear router. My brother set up his laptop and belkin router to connect to the home pc landline network. By taking out the adsl connection on the home pc he could go on internet on his laptop . Using a belkin router he connected his laptop to my pc. i have asus wireless software and an antenna. he does not have his laptop no more. Therefore i do not have the internet connection however my pc can still pick up the belkin router once it is plugged in. How do i connect my pc (joejoejoe) to my home pc netgear router (eojeojeoj)? should i use the belkin router to connect with the home pc netgear router? what would be easiest and the best way to get a connection? apparently my ethernet states that there is disconnected software but there isnt...PLZ HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED....(p.s i have put up my specs on my profile gallery).

Netgear wired router right or wireless?
You can use both though..

Setup the Netgear has the DHCP to handle all the PCs on joejoejoe network
Setup the Belkin router if wirelss as acces point to extend the range of the wireless in you place...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back