WiFi devices freeze pc when installing driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a problem installing WiFi devices on my laptop. When I install the drivers the laptop just freeze and I need to swich off. When I swicht back on the device has a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager.

The laptop is a Compaq evo 1020 with XP pro sp2
I have tried with a Neatgear WG511v2 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card 32-bit CardBus 802.11g
and also a Belkin 54 Mbps USB 802.11g.

So both usb and pc card freeze but if I do a wire connection from the router on the ethernet port there is no problem at all.

I have also reinstalled windows in case something was corrupted ...but no result.

Would someone have any idea ?

Cheers
Francois

What did you install in addition to Windows? Or was it the wireless drivers right after the OS?

Hi Nodsu,

After installing XP I have done all updates from windows updates.

Than for both devices I have tried installing with windows after installing devices, prompt load driver...and freeze - a sytem restore, than install program from suppliers and driver...than freeze again.
Obviously i didn't try both at the same time ...one after another with a clean in between

althought once, the usb didn't freeze...but was not installed properly.
And have tried many times...the reason why am here

Just had a thought and remember that when I reinstalled Windows, during the installation process, Windows asked for tel number area code for my country, workgroup and domain name....and this is the first time I encounter such a question during installation.
Could it be linked with my problem ?

to you last post first, the message you encounterd is stock right out of the box from XP PRO (not home). every thing thee is normal. did you install the usb drivers that either 1 came with your laptop or 2 downloaded of the net? {not for any wireless just the standard usb drivers} if not go to the manf. erb site and download them. you could also go online and get the newest drivers for the model of your wireless device. [ie netgear, belkin] dont use the cd and dont plug in the device untill you have installed it or the setup prompts it.you might also try booting up in safe mode and installing the drivers while in safe mode. do you need to know how to boot in safe mode??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back