Will a 3 Pin Fan Connecter Fit in a 4 Pin Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might, but you risk either ruining the fan or the motherboard. Save yourself the trouble and get the correct part.

ok thanks, so the 3 pin will work with the 4 pin, but any idea wich cooler i should get? the rosewill ( better ratings ) or the arctic cooling one?

vnf4ultra glad to still see you around lol. i havnt been on ts for a while... anyways that cooler is 5$ extra... which isn't bad but does it support am2 and the newer x2 processors?

Save yourself the trouble and get the correct part.

There is nothing "incorrect" here.

Most intel 775 mobos are 4 pin, and many after market Hsf's are 3 pin, such as the big typhoon (what i have)

yea im sure it wouldnt make a difference if i used a 3 pin or 4 pin. imma go with the arctic cooling for 15$ vnf4ultra recommended another but im not sure if that will run a am2 x2 amd cpu at good temp's

akaivan said:
vnf4ultra glad to still see you around lol. i havnt been on ts for a while... anyways that cooler is 5$ extra... which isn't bad but does it support am2 and the newer x2 processors?

The one I linked does support am2.
http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/wisper/wisper.htm
Socket Type Socket 754 / 939 / 940 / AM2

I've never used it, so I can't personally say whether it's any good, but it has generally good reviews on newegg, and looks like a decent design. One reviewer was using an opteron 170 which has a pretty high heat output.

The coolers you linked to are probably just fine too, I just like heatpipe designs.

true, but if the current draw is greater than supplied, you can risk damage.
the fourth pin is for smart fan circuits that regulate fan spead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back