Will adding this ram improve my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
currently I have on this computer
2X1024MB PC2-6400 OCZ ram running at 800mhz dual channel.

I have 2 sticks of some old 256MB 400MHZ lying around,
am I better off just not putting them in the computer?

Help appreciated
Thanks!

I'd say your right about not putting them in. 2 gigs is plenty enough for most people, and that slower ram will just force your newer (and faster) ram to run at a slower clock speed.

Ahh thanks, didn't see that :)

but one question on that guide - what if in the future I want to buy 2gb more ram but I want it to be faster then this ram, according to the guide this will screw up my computer, do you have any hard evidence of such thing?

Faster ram is irrelevant if your system cannot handle it. Buy the maximum amount of Ram your system will need. For XP the sweet spot is around 1gb. Unless your an avid gamer, you won't need more. It is best to buy in twin pairs. for 1GB - get 2 sticks of 512mb. That way you can run in dual channel mode and your system will run slightly faster.

For 2 gb , buy 2 x 1gb sticks.

If you buy fast ram and your motherboard cannot handle it, it either will not work or it will run at the maximum speed your board can run it at - and you've wasted money. RTFM to determine what brands, types, your system will take. IF no manual - check with the mobo manufactuer website.

The RAM you install must meet specs. Also, mixing RAM types will only lead to problems. Stick with one type that meets specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back