will an Acer Aspire 3003 hold up in casual gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my laptop has had its ram fail 4 times, that last just after the worranty was up, so now im in the market for a new laptop that cheap. the acer looks good but il switch one of the 128mb rams for a 512mb card so ill have 512 (it says 128mb is shared with the video). Ill play only start wars galaxies (the new complete pack with everything but the newext expansion pack) heres the laptop I havent heard much about laptops but i never really looked into them too much. They seem to have good reviews with the ram the only thing lacking, which ill fix when i buy. So, what do you guys think about this one? are there many problems with it? my toshiba always had problems, i just want something to fly me through the galaxy without the fear of major stuff failing. if it isnt good, do you recommend anything in teh 600 price range?

things to look for

i read your post and while casual gaming can be kind of a broad in terms of type of games, star wars galaxies will definately tax your system, even the acer you are mentioning to buy. Online games like sw galaxies almost always require more than the system specs they mention. Connection to the internet is a big key here. anything less than 1mb/s cable or T1 will just not do if you want to play with fluidity (sp?). I know this cause my new system had trouble with unreal tournament 2k4 on cable modem. I was like "whats going on my system can handle this!" or so i thought.

Bottom line, if you want to play these games without crashes etc, get some good quality ram, a decent processor, no celerons etc and good internet connection. even with this, you may have to tone down the graphics once in the game to keep things from locking up. Too high a graphics will def bog things down

hope this helps
chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back