Will my computer handle World of Warcraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N00byStance

I'm really interested about World of Warcraft. But I don't know will my PC handle this game. My friend says it will be many lags when I'll try to play the game on my machine. I don't want to create an account and be unable to play, with bonus subscription expiring... :/ My configuration is:

CPU: Pentium IV 1.60 GHz overclocked -> 2.32 GHz [no Hyper-Threading]
Motherboard: ASUS P4PE2-X
Graphic card: GeForce2 MX/MX 400 with 64 MB of memory
RAM: 256 MB DDR
Cable 1024 Kbps internet connection

Oh, I have a one more question - must I buy more RAM or can I increase a paging file size? Is the effect the same? I have much free space on my HDD.

N00byStance said:
Graphic card: GeForce2 MX/MX 400 with 64 MB of memory
RAM: 256 MB DDR

Those two things need some love before you can really play WoW without tearing your hair out. I don't even know if the Geforce 2 could handle it heh.

My advice, grab a better graphics card, and throw in another 512 RAM if you've got an open slot. 768 mb is enough to run WoW pretty efficiently.

No real recommendations on a grapics card, because everyone has their preferences. The bottom end cards will obviously not run quite as well as some of the higher end ones, but if you're on a budget, some of the lower end cards get the job done fairly well.

And I'm fairly sure increasing the paging file size won't do much for you.

Regards,

WO

WitchyOne said:
And I'm fairly sure increasing the paging file size won't do much for you.

You are correct, increasing the page file size is nowhere as helpful as adding more RAM.

Hmmm... you're right. Yes, I have one more free RAM slot, and AGP 4x slot. But it is a little problem - cash :/. I'm waiting for a schollship, but it isn't enough money. I want to buy the game [about 180,00 PLN [Polish Zloty]] and one pre-paid [for holiday playing :), about 120,00 PLN], additional DDR (256 - 512) will cost me next +/- 100,00 PLN. 400 PLN = about 121 $ = about 100 €. Well, for me, it is MUCH...

I visited some other forums and some people play on worse hardware [e.g. onboard graphic card with 32 MB VRAM and 256 RAM] :). So, what about turning all graphic functions [these supported by my card :) - it doesn't support e.g. reflective water] off and all scrolls to minimum? Will it increase FPS? Have anyone played on similar machine? Did you enjoyed gameplay? I cannot buy one of latest graphic cards [expensive...], but I think my budget couldn't handle even those older.

Make getting your RAM a priority. Yes turning down the gfx options will up your FPS. But trying to play WoW on 256 will be torturously slow.

Sean

OK, I'll buy addinational RAM stick. Is 512 MB enough? I'm ready for this "devotion" :) [read - I could eat only bread for next month or two :))]

N00byStance said:
OK, I'll buy addinational RAM stick. Is 512 MB enough?

Do you mean adding a 512? Or adding a 256 to make total 512? EIther way it is much better, and shold help you out. BUt obviuosly more is better in this case.

N00byStance said:
I could eat only bread for next month or two

And weather to eat or to play WoW, i would take a nice meal any day.

Sean

I meant about adding 512 MB to make total 768 MB. Could it be? I don't know where, but I read that WoW reserves about 700 MB in RAM. Is it true?

It's true and I wouldn't try playing WoW on less than 768. I have played it for a week (at my grandmother's) in integrated video with 256 meg of RAM. Let's just say I bring my laptop with me whenever I go visit her now. It was the most painful gaming experience ever. Walking off bridges because the computer couldn't draw them fast enough, unable to turn 90 degrees because the computer would hang and you'd be facing backwards once it caught up, and of course watching your target hit you and then freezing only to be given back control at the spirit watcher.

768 Meg of RAM or more would be priority #1
You can play like this - though things will be kind of ugly. The game is still fun though.
A newer video card would be priority #2. If you can't get something decent don't get anything at all. I wouldn't settle for anything less that a Radeon 9600 or something comparable on the NV side.

OK. On my motherboard I have 2 RAM slots [one is occupated by 256 MB], so I'll buy 512 strick. Any else suggestions?? And one else question - how many free subscription days are included in WoW?

You mean these pre-paid cards, am I right?

Question: my friend sent me a key (CD-key?) and said it is a free 10 days key for everyone. Isn't this a joke? I don't believe him heh [I didn't hear about something like this] :/.

I play World of Warcraft, i have a 256 MB AGP Video card. Personally i think that you just need a good video card and a pretty fast internet connection. I am on Broadband so i don't lag. Even if you have a big video card and high speed internet you'll lag a lot on World of Warcraft because of all the players.

You know, since last weeks I become interested about World of Warcraft, when my friend bought it. Before this I payed games which doesn't need much, like Black Isle Studio's RPGs [Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate II], Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft III The Frozen Throne [playing on those last two wasn't excellent smooth in some situations]. Even playing Morrowind wasn't a horror. Now I have a BIG problem. Last thing I have upgraded was a motherboard [previous one crashed], it costed me 180.00 PLN. I must upgrade most expensive part of PC... Life is brutal :p. Could I do anything else to don't play too laggy? [except more RAM... and without video card yet ^^]

I have an idea. Maybe before buying retail version of WoW should I try out my machine playing on beta? Is this possible?? Maybe one of you has a free unwanted beta account on which can I try?

Are beta accounts still working? I wouldn't think so since you have to have actual accounts to join the test servers now. Those test servers only have upcoming patch differences from the rest of the realms.

N00byStance said:
OK. On my motherboard I have 2 RAM slots [one is occupated by 256 MB], so I'll buy 512 strick. Any else suggestions?? And one else question - how many free subscription days are included in WoW?

i think u need to check what kinda 'stick' u have... becuz, u need to get similar sticks :D speed wise, atleast.

That RAM and video card both would absolutely kill you in WoW. If you can run it at all. I played with 512 ok, but in Iron Forge and Stormwind (high player active citys) I had trouble walking at times, especially in Iron Forge. Other than that it was fine. Except for in SouthShore (which is where everyone pvp's 24/7 literally) I could barely walk if I was in the action. Sometimes in SouthShore I couldnt move for 10-15 seconds.

The list of requirements

N00byStance said:
Hey my problem has not been fixed so pleeease post :/.
I will give you the minimum requirements that are on the box if you have this you'll lag but it's better than nothing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP. Intel Pentium III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz. 32 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as an NVIDIA Geforce 2 class card or above. DirectX 9.0c (included) and lastest video drivers. 4.0 GB available HD space. 4x CD-ROM drive. 56k or better internet connection

Mac OS X 10.3.5 or newer. 933 MHz G4/G5 processor. 512 MB RAM, DDR RAM recommended. NVIDIA or ATI GPU with 32 MB VRAM, 64MB recommended. 4.0GB available HD space. 4x CD-ROM drive. 56k or better internet connection.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this can help somehow.

Thanks for your attention, but I already know this [I checked it first of all] from Blizzard's website. But thanks at all.

I want to ask you: waht "kind" of lag is it [I know it sounds stupid]? Is it only a low FPS level, or permanent lags [no reaction from PC]? Is it making me unable to enjoy the game? Waiting for quick response...

N00byStance

There are different types of lag in Warcraft, different types are caused by different things in the chain (client, connection, server). The game is only as strong as the weakest link so you could have the best machine in the world, they could have all the server farms they want, but if you're playing over a dial-up, you are going to lag!

With the minimum spec you will find that the screen does not refresh fast enough. But your character will still be active in the virtual world - so if your computer lags when you're in a battle, by the time it catches up you will probably be dead. Similarly, if your machine lags when you are running, it is likely that you'll keep running while your machine catches up - you can spend an amusing 10 minutes in Ironforge watching people walk into the trench outside the auction house because they are suffering lag! :evil:

I suggest you look round the WoW support forums at www.wow-europe.com - the tech support forum has some things to try to reduce lag.

But the bottom line is, lag will spoil your game because it makes battles unplayable, and most of WoW is battles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back