will oblivion run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

Ok, so im looking at buying a new machine that im planning on making and im planning ahead so i can play this game (HUGEEE fan of Elder Scrolls 3, wasted two summers of mine)

heres what im looking at:
P4 640 3.2Ghz
Gigabyte 8N-Sli Royal
1Gb Corsair 5400-C4 (512 x 2) (or possibly the 6400, would it make a huge diff?)
160Gb Western Digital EIDE
XFX Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra (or 7800 if i can get enough cash)

so..hows my chances on this game?

ouchh...unless i could find a 7900 under $200 ill pass, most likely ill get the XFX GeForce 7600 GT, people said they got Oblivion to run at 37fps

I'll look into the memory, but the mobo im buying i found at a great price...most sites i found with the 8N-sli are usually the Quad Royal...but i found one for 87 on mwave...so buying that would actually set me back more lol

Well whtddusy, it depends on the type of gamer you are. If you are 'old school', like me, then you wouldn't mind a lot about graphics. The fact is, you now can run Oblivion even in computers that don't have the muscle of a great video card. I finished the game and I'm on my second run now, and my video card is a very outdated GeForce FX5200 w/128 mb ram. I'm playing in very low detail settings, but I'm after the thrill of role playing not the very best graphics.

However, if you want some eye candy as well, you should get a little more memory and pass on 6800 in favor of a 7600. 7600 series are the budget gamer series now, and though their specs may not be too far off from a 6800, their performance are. I recommend guru3d and firingsquad for video card reviews and comparisons. Get a 7600 gt if you can, if not then gs will surely work wonders as well. Good luck.
cornellian

a 6800 Ultra will run Oblivion Flawless on max details..just try it.. you don't need a fancy new 7900...or so..
and yeah that PC6400 would help your system... quite much..

thanks for the feedback guys, i might buy the 7600 just for the hell of it, so i wont need to upgrade again for awhile (hopefully lol) also the offer i found comes with Ghost Recon, so ill have something to test it with as well, but im thinking about this again since no one responded to this question in my other thread, would buying two 6800 Ultra outperform one 7600? it would only cost me an extra $50 to do that

That PC should run Oblivion excelently.
The thing with Oblivion is it looks beautiful even on low settings!
I've got at low setting and it is still amazing.

Leave updating for later. Two 6800 Ultras in SLI would let u run Oblivion at max(probably). Thats the approximate power of the Sony PS3 BTW, so it will let u run most games on full detail. Oblivion has new effects like HDR etc. which ur card might not render but who's complaining. The thrill is in the game definitely, not in the eye candy as most people seem to think. So get playing and get all this crap about updating off ur mind for now.

lol ok it wasnt so much about updating it was more that i had heard user reviews saying certain cards could play this game but then the benchmarks didnt show

but then again there cpu benchmark test on the game showed that overclocking your card could easily make your gpu shine

thankss

to 6800's would be nowhere close to ps3. To ps3 graphics card is equivelant to about a 7900gtx. A 6800 would be choppy if you even had it on medium settings.I heard of some people using 2 7900 gtx sli and it still wasnt that great quality.

twite said:
to 6800's would be nowhere close to ps3. To ps3 graphics card is equivelant to about a 7900gtx. A 6800 would be choppy if you even had it on medium settings.I heard of some people using 2 7900 gtx sli and it still wasnt that great quality.
I am quoting Sony at E3 2005. They said that the power of the PS3 was slightly more than two 6800 Ultras put together, the most powerful GPU on the planet at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back