Will overclocking P4 630 3.0ghtz to 3.2Ghtz be a good improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

If I change my CPU frequency from 200 to 214 which gets it to 3.21Ghz, will I see any good improvements in games like in BF2 or World of warcraft? I also notice that my memory which is PC3200 400mhtz will overclock to 428Mhtz, and I want that to happen. Will I see any improvement, or will I have to push it higher?

It will not make a difference in my opinion. To be completely honest, overclocking is never worth the risk for the following reasons:
- You may experience system instability and lose data
- you will void your warranty, perhaps even on other hardware
- the lifespan of your CPU will be significantly shorter
- unless you know what you are doing, there is a good chance you will screw up
- more heat
- more noise
- minimal performance increase.

Regards,

Korrupt

I agree with korrupt.. its by far more easier and less risky to find out what your bottleneck is on your system and getting a replacement thats better than the existing one

korrupt said:
It will not make a difference in my opinion. To be completely honest, overclocking is never worth the risk for the following reasons:
- You may experience system instability and lose data
- you will void your warranty, perhaps even on other hardware
- the lifespan of your CPU will be significantly shorter
- unless you know what you are doing, there is a good chance you will screw up
- more heat
- more noise
- minimal performance increase.

Regards,

Korrupt
Other than more noise and 'minimal' performance increase; I completely agree.

i_am_a_newbie said:
Other than more noise and 'minimal' performance increase; I completely agree.
As for the temperature and "severely" shortened lifetime, is it not only if you increase the voltage, yes?

If you want to improve performance, I think you should upgrade your video card :)

That should make more difference.

F1N3ST said:
Ok, the only option for you is 2 7950GX2's in SLI, that should run you about 1000$ Save up.

Or two 7900GTX, or even better, 2 X1950XTX's.

But, if your budget is low, a X800GTO, or a X850XT are very good cards. You can get one of these for under 130 bucks.

I think Overclocking a CPU can be worth it sometimes. Video cards IMO are never worth it. Had too many die on me.

With your OC however I do not think you would see much of a gain. And while the 6xx series is alot cooler than the 5xx series, the heat increase could easily decrease stabiltiy and the life of the chip.

wallabing said:
No overlclocking?!!!!! You call yourselves PC enthusiasts!!????? Ashamed.
well you did ask the question if it will be a substantial improvement on your current situation.. which most of us said yes and/or no to with some opinion or reason...

Although in all respect if you wish to go ahead with the OC then its well, up to you in the end :)

Usualy 6 general factors that determine your OC ability:
-Tolerance and accuracy of each of the gear involved
-Power and stability output by the PSU
-temperature
-the goal (max speed + stable or optimised + stable etc)
-experience
-having some backup parts or money incase a worst-case scenareo rears its ugly head..

Games on the otherhand not only rely on the speed of the cpu but also on the ability of the PC to output the pictures smoothly as well as having ample ram and power among the rest of the gear.

As its been said, aim higher (but need to watch those temps and stability) or easier finding and reducing the bottleneck, then look at your OC after, which would at least give you something you'd notice.. more-so than the first, even if its just a small OC..

There wont be hardly any difference...I had a 2.8ghz p4 overclocked to 3.2ghz and i saw none when playing games and rendering videos...But as far as the downsides to overclocking its his cpu..let him

wolfram said:
Or two 7900GTX, or even better, 2 X1950XTX's.

But, if your budget is low, a X800GTO, or a X850XT are very good cards. You can get one of these for under 130 bucks.
Lolz your just sayin that cuz u have a GTO and ur getting the XT :p no im jk ur right they are good. :)

all you saying that ocing makes little diff... i managed to increase my RAM bandwidth from 2.1gig/sec to 3.2gig/sec... try and tell me thats not a difference!! lol (seriously, startup time is many seconds faster and i am noticing a real difference in gaming) yea it may be an odd case, but it DOES make a difference imo lol

maxbb1 said:
all you saying that ocing makes little diff... i managed to increase my RAM bandwidth from 2.1gig/sec to 3.2gig/sec... try and tell me thats not a difference!! lol (seriously, startup time is many seconds faster and i am noticing a real difference in gaming) yea it may be an odd case, but it DOES make a difference imo lol
We were merely saying a 200ghz overclock on a P4 will simply yield virtually no noticable gain; which remainds true regardless of your success :)

i_am_a_newbie said:
We were merely saying a 200ghz overclock on a P4 will simply yield virtually no noticable gain; which remainds true regardless of your success :)
LOL uhm are you sure about that? I dunno about you, but to me 200 GHz sounds like a pretty damn nice overclock :p

MetalX said:
Lolz your just sayin that cuz u have a GTO and ur getting the XT :p no im jk ur right they are good. :)

I guess you're right :) I really loved the X800GTO, and I'm sure I'll love even more the X850XT. I've got its future cooler (Silencer 5), and I can't wait for the X850XT :p

i'm an overclocker and i can honestly tell you that overclocking a P4 200mhz isn't gonna do anything. it might not require much to do it, but you're also not going to get any REAL performance gain. for example i had to clock my 550 (3.4HT/LGA775) to 4046 to see a large enough gain in gaming for it to make any difference whatsoever. at 3.74 it really didn't make a difference, search for my conroe thread if you want to see a real overclocker, i do recommend buying someone's cheap setup for A64 or maybe an X2 setup if you want a faster computer for cheap.

maxbb1 said:
you have a 600mhz overclock, the threadstarter wanted to know what a +200mhz overclock would do. not much really... unless it were on like a celly 433or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back