Will slower ddr affect cpu performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easystreet

abit IC7
P4 3.0e / 800 / 1mb
1gb ddr 333 pc2700 ram
winfast a310

i was wondering that since my FSB is 800, if I run ddr333 for the time being, will it affect my overall system performance (not overclocking yet)

cheers

FSB and DDR speeds have nothing in common. They wouldn't affect each other at all. It depends on what speed of RAM ur mobo supports. if it supports 400MHz, for example, and ur using a 333MHz module, then u will not be utilizing the full power of ur mobo that's all.

On the contrary, memory speeds & FSB are quite "related". Your CPU can use the data available in memory via the FSB so it is better to have memory capable of serving sufficient data to the FSB or even surpassing it.

If your FSB is capable of using 6.4GB/s of data (800MHz FSB on Pentium 4s), it's not a big problem if your memory can do more than that (dual-channel PC4000 for example ~=8.0GB/s), however there will be an impact on performance (be it noticeable or not) if the memory is not capable of feeding the FSB with enough data (dual-channel PC2700 ~=5.4GB/s).

cheers guys. just wanted to confirm. no point in upgrading a cpu and mobo is the ram harms it. I will eventually move to ddr 533 to help with OC'ing.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back