Will Windows terminate due to not enough ram etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivalive

May i ask if windows will terminate certain application automatically due to insufficient RAM/virutal memory?

i using asus z96j laptop with 512mb ram
and sometimes when i m running several applications at the same time..
my windows will hang a while and it will change it's interface(windows toolbar below)and back to normal after a few seconds..

after that..when i click on volume control,it says that there is no mixer device available..any idea?

thanks for advise..

Edit: Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

If you have not enough memory it will just tell you "insufficiant memory... quit applications and try again" or some sorts.

What have you got running in the background and in your task bar?
What programs are you trying to run?
Audio problem may just need to reinstall/update your audio drivers for a quick fix..

just msn,gmail notifier,wireless console,download manager...
i tried to reinstall/update my audio drivers..but it wont fix the problem..

vivalive said:
just msn,gmail notifier,wireless console,download manager...
i tried to reinstall/update my audio drivers..but it wont fix the problem..
That's all you have running? Don't you have any anti virus/malware programs running?
Minimize your running programs with = http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html

Also try = Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/System/Advanced tab/Performance, Settings button/Advanced tab/Virtual Memory, Change button/bullet System Managed Size.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

And as I already said, it never hurts to add more RAM.

I've already changed it to system managed size,but it stil couldn't fix the prob..
guess i m going to format my windows..

vivalive said:
after that..when i click on volume control,it says that there is no mixer device available..any idea?

No, there's something more to this than just virtual memory or lack of RAM.

Updating your device drivers may fix the issue, assuming the most obvious problem is to blame. It could very well be something else. I might ask you to take a look at Start > Run > eventvwr.msc (2000/XP error log) and let us know if there are any suspicious, critical errors under System or Applications.

I saw this error from plug and play manager..
and here is the description:

The device 'TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632C' (IDE\CdRomTSSTcorp_CD/DVDW_TS-L632C_______________AS07____\3632505730343435353220202020202020202020) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

The device 'TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632C' (IDE\CdRomTSSTcorp_CD/DVDW_TS-L632C_______________AS07____\3632505730343435353220202020202020202020) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
I agree. Check in device manager that the CD/DVD drive is working correctly as well..

vivalive said:
there aren't any missing devices or hardware and the cd/dvd drive is working correctly..T_T

You may want to look at the device manager before and when the problem occurs. Does your audio controller show up under Sound, Video and Game Controllers? I would expect it to while your audio is working, but when the problem occurs - it wouldn't surprise me if it disappears or an error icon appears.

Aside from device failure, the 'Windows Audio' service (Start > Run > services.msc ) might be having issues. If it is, errors will probably appear in the eventviewer (Start > Run > eventvwr.msc ). When this error occurs again, check these things.

Possible causes for your sound disappearing include failing hardware, device driver issues, IRQ issues or the Windows Audio service. That's about it though, unless you have something very specifically wrong with your system. Now the fun thing is what causes these problems? Anything from bad sectors on your drive to solar flares could cause any of these issues, so we need to narrow it down as much as possible.

As a blind fix, I might recommend removing the soundcard and inserting it into a different PCI slot (if your audio card is an add-on and not integrated). This will force Windows to reinstall the drivers and also give the device a new IRQ (hopefully). ACPI doesn't always work so well, so some devices 'wig out' when sharing IRQs with others... This has always been especially true with sound cards. It may not fix it, but its worth a shot.

The device 'TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632C' (IDE\CdRomTSSTcorp_CD/DVDW_TS-L632C_______________AS07____\3632505730343435353220202020202020202020) disappeared from the system
... is a notebook optical drive and probably removable. Its not uncommon for these devices to show this kind of error because they get plugged in and out. This should be OK and is probably unrelated.

i've checked it.
my audio controller didn't disappear after the problem occurs,
but in services.msc,"windows audio" was stopped.i started it and restart my laptop,but everytime when the problem occurs,"windows audio"was in STOPPED-status again.

one more problem,everytime after the problem occurs,
i cannot open other ppl's network place within my LAN,even my own network place.

maybe some windows files are screwed up.. try doing a windows repair and/or a sfc /scannow in cmd..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back