Will Windows xp x64 run my applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I want to go with the 64 bit edition of Windows... Except theres just one thing I'm worried about, will I be able to play old games such as soldier of fortune and use my excisiting Microsoft Office (2003)?

Also, Is the 64bit edition really THAT much faster than the 32bit edition? If its a pain in the a s s to find drivers, and the speed difference is not that great, I will go with the normal edition.

Regards,

korrupt

Well, I can't comment on the speed difference as I have not had a chance to experience x64 yet. However, my understanding of x64 is that it is backwards compatible with 32 bit applications. This would make sense to me because there are so few 64 bit apps out there right now. The problem is in driver support.

I haven't noticed any difference in speed between XP and XP x64 myself. Office 2003 works fine as do most of the games I've tested.

Some applications are stupid enough to check if the OS is something other than 32-bit XP and refuse to work, but that's developers' fault.

A few detect the OS incorrectly as Server 2003 (as XP x64 is built on Server 2003 x64 SP1 core), but using the XP compatibility setting has helped.

I bought XP x64 because 1) I had bought one 64-bit Windows application earlier and 2) because of the small differences in usability from Server 2003 core.

Naturally, I do some research on x64 support when buying new peripherals. I don't have any devices that don't work in x64.

I'm just a bit concerned about the OEM thing, some sites say that I need to buy a new license if I change my mainboard.

Thank you for your replies. If there is no difference in speed, what is the advange of having x64? Especially since you get problems with driver support? Overall though, are you happy with x64?

Regards,

Korrupt

Uh, an ability to run 64-bit applications is an advantage, in my opinion.

Hassle-free support for more than 2 GB of RAM is another advantage (although this might be a moot point since few "normal" mainboards support more than 4 GB). Currently I have 2 GB installed but I was doing some graphics work with The GIMP some time ago with 3 GB.

I said that I don't have driver problems. Maybe some others do.

I'm satisfied with this, for me this is the best Windows available.

This probably sounds really stupid, but what is a "64bit application" and could you give me some examples?

Regards,

Korrupt

16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit, it just depends on the compiler and its settings used to compile applications. XP x64 has builtin 64-bit versions of most (if not all) applications that are 32-bit in XP. Internet Explorer is available as 32-bit as well in x64 because Windows Update doesn't work with 64-bit IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back