Win 64 install help mixed with hardware inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can tell I have everything physically installed correctly, and the BIOS doesnt indicate anything wrong. However, durig one of my retries on installing Win 64, I noticed that my IDE drive moved from the 4th master to the first master and I can no longer boot from my CDRW OR DVDRW. My BIOS pickes them both up and I have set my BIOS to boot FROM them the CD. I've also tried to get it to boot from my DVD drive to no avail.

From my CD drive, it seems that I get stuck onthe blue installation screen that windwos gives you during inital setup. From the DVD dive it goes and installs through he blue screen, then reboots and gets to "Windows XP x64 edition" and stays in that scrolling loops until I get impatient and reboot (45 minutes....4 times). This tells me that it is possible that my optical drives are hosed as well. Though, if the BIOS reads them correctly and at first i could use them, why did that change?

Recently my old(er) PC took a power hit. Already took it up with my power company, they claim no fault to it...been round and roun about it, but it still doesnt fix my PC. So I have to rebuild it.

I went ahead and got a 64bit Intel chip becasue...well I wanted to. I had to downgrade from a Seagate 250GB HDD SATA to a Maxtor 100GB IDE for financial reasons. I'l fix that in the future, after I get taxes back.

Here is my system load out.

*ASUS P5WD2 Premium
*Intel 650 3.4 GHz 64bit
*Maxtor 100GB IDE
Kingston 533 non-ECC DDR2 2GB
SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Plextor Premium CD/RW
Plextor 716SA SATA DVD+-RW
*ASUS EN6800GT PCI-E 256MB
*Antec NeoHE 500W PSU
*APC 750 UPS
Matrix Orbital 240 Digial LCD
Mitsumi 7 in 1 card reader
Windows Pro X64 (OEM)

* indicates items "bricked" in my power hit ad then replaced.

As far as I can tell I have everything physically installed correctly, and the BIOS doesnt indicate anything wrong. However, durig one of my retries on installing Win 64, I noticed that my IDE drive moved from the 4th master to the first master and I can no longer boot from my CDRW OR DVDRW. My BIOS pickes them both up and I have set my BIOS to boot FROM them the CD. I've also tried to get it to boot from my DVD drive to no avail.

From my CD drive, it seems that I get stuck onthe blue installation screen that windwos gives you during inital setup. From the DVD dive it goes and installs through he blue screen, then reboots and gets to "Windows XP x64 edition" and stays in that scrolling loops until I get impatient and reboot (45 minutes....4 times). This tells me that it is possible that my optical drives are hosed as well. Though, if the BIOS reads them correctly and at first i could use them, why did that change?

I guess my questions are:

Does it sound as if my optical drives are hosed?

How would I fix the problem if they are not hosed?

If it is not a problem at all in my opical drives, the is it safe to assume that since my disk is flawless (visually), that the image could be a factory mistake (god no...)?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back