Win 98 SE bootup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturbo23

After running Windows 98 SE for many months and having no problems. I now for some resaon have bootup problems

The pc loads the desktop screen and icons but then just stops. I am still able to move the mouse but when pressing ctrl alt del a black screen appears and i have to restart.

I have run Norton Sytem Works to try and a problem but had no luck.

I also have Windows 2000 that i could install but am not sure if that would solve the problems.

Please Help:(

First off, what are your system specs? And, have you installed any new programs, drivers, anything that might be the cause of the problem??? Sounds like one of your startup programs is messing you up.

It's not much, but it is somewhere to start. :)

I am running 1.5GH Athlon XP, 40GB HD, 256MB DDR, Geforce2 64 MB graphics.

the only new programs i have installed are ZoneAlarm and Norton System Works.

Ok, try uninstalling ZoneAlarm and see what happens. If that doesn't work try uninstalling Norton Systemworks. One of the two might be conflicting with Windows for some odd reason.

If this doesn't help please reply back.

Ok, try uninstalling ZoneAlarm and see what happens. If that doesn't work try uninstalling Norton Systemworks. One of the two might be conflicting with Windows for some odd reason.

LOL the windows doesn't start, does it?

I think the first thing to do is to find out if the safe mode works.

From the safe mode, unsinstall the ZoneAlarm and Norton stuff.
Run msconfig and check for suspicious startup programs.
Create and check bootlog.txt file.

Post back if any questions.

Originally posted by Nodsu

I think the first thing to do is to find out if the safe mode works.

From the safe mode, unsinstall the ZoneAlarm and Norton stuff.
Run msconfig and check for suspicious startup programs.
Create and check bootlog.txt file.

Post back if any questions.

LOL, of course, this is what I was assuming he would do! ;)

Can you tell us what startup programs you have running?? And I also recommend what Nodsu says about creating a bootlog.txt file.

One more thing you might want to try is to run Dr. Watson in Windows. Here is a previous post about Dr. Watson:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Unknown
Posted: Unknown
http://www.computerhope.com/software/drwatson.htm

Dr. Watson is a software utility included with Microsoft Windows that is used to help detect, decode and log errors that are encountered while windows or windows programs are running.

A user can run Dr. Watson by clicking Start / Run and typing "drwatson" and clicking ok. The Windows NT and 2000 Version of Dr. Watson can be ran by click Start / Run and typing "drwtsn32". When running Dr. Watson you should see either a new task on your toolbar or on your systray indicating that Dr. Watson is running in the background. If errors are frequently occurring run Dr. Watson to help get additional information about the error.

When Dr. Watson encounters an error the error is logged under the file "drwtsn32.log" or "user.dmp" when running Microsoft Windows NT or Windows 2000. When running Microsoft Windows 95, 98 or ME the file is logged with a .WLG file extension and stored under the \Windows\Drwatson folder. For example 10.wlg is an example of a Dr. Watson file.

Tip: If your computer is encountering errors often load Dr. Watson into the startup folder to load the program each time the computer boots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add to what Super said, you can go into the System information and run selective start up. You can turn off programs one at a time and see if you can narrow it down to which one is locking up. You can also do a system file checker and see what OS files have been changed or damaged.

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information

Or Start>Run>Msconfig.exe

Select "Tools" then the "Start up" tab. System File Checker is there also.....good luck and let us know what else we can do !!

You can always reload 98se, in case of a damaged file it will just overwrite the exsisting files, but will ask you if the version #, or date has changed. For the first run I would "Keep the newer version (updated drivers, etc), if that doesn't work you may need to do it againand over write everything.
However, most intermitant problems are hardware problems, so check temps, clean out the HSF, and PSU check cables, THE WORKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back