Win 98 Shutdown problems and general runnin

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey people
my moms pc, my old 1, is quite a few years old now, it originally came with win 95, but i put a win 98 copy on to it, with the plus

it was ok, but some of the things like disk cleanup never worked...
after a few years of abuse, the huge 4bg hdd was full so i deleted all the crap i could find and got rid of all the users. (and now there is still hardly and space on the hdd with everythin deleted!!)
a while later, it started 2 run like crap, for eg, if u tell it to open a pic, the folder the pic was in freezez and nothin happens, so u give it a min or 2, and it MIGHT decide to come alive and open, if it dont, u have to go 2 your desktop, open another folder, then something like a mp3, and both the mp3 and the pic will open at the same time.
when i shut down it stays on the background (when it goes darker) for a while then this error message comes up
"WIN95 RPC Wmsg Wingow"
"this program is not responding... etc"
so i click end now 2 turn the pc off and it will sometimes turn off and other times just stays on this screen and locks up.
could this be because i used a dodgey copied version of win98 or because iv deleted somethin important or installed sommet i shoukdnt have?
any help would be appreciated!!
thanks
mabbo

That error message shows windows messenger is not responding. Try running windows update to install the latest version of windows messenger and see if that fixes things. Your problem may have been caused by file corruption, or configuration problems. Update windows messenger, and that should hopefully fix things.

ok, cheers dude... ill get the new messenger...
iv been messin with it all day and it seems 2 be runnin better now.

it still freezes when i do things like clear my documents or clear the temp internet files etc... which is beginnin to get on my tits!

any ideas on that 1?

cheers

Try defragmenting the HDD, freezes while deleting, saving and moving files are sometimes caused by heavily fragmented files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back