Win 98 shutdown/restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

This is a new problem for me so I hope you guys can help me out here, I have a pc with Win 98SE which won't shutdown, not the usual freeze at the shutdown screen but it restarts instead. I have checked it out for virus's and spyware/adware and also tried a different power supply but so far no success.

Have any of you come up against this before or have any suggestions what may be the cause?

1. Get the latest BIOS for that board
2. Check the APM/ACPI settings in the BIOS
3. Check the Power Managment settings in Windows

One of those three is most likely the cause of the problem.

MYOB.......... checked the last two and everything seems to be OK, will checkout the latest BIOS later..its a Packard Bell machine.

*shudders*

pre- or post- bankrupcy Packard Bell?

(that won't affect the restarting, obviously, but it could afffect finding a BIOS update)

OK, have now updated the BIOS to the latest available but still no joy.
I am beginning to wonder if it maybe a problem with Win 98 as it has been on this machine for nearly 4 years now so is about due to suffer usual corruption problems.
As everything else seems to be reasonably OK it seems a shame to reload it all again.

I have seen Windows cause this. I don't know the exact solution, but the cause is likely to include a problem with windows 98's Power Management layer.

An example of this I have seen includes a couple of systems which were exhibiting the same problems. A fresh install of Windows 98 fixed this issue.

I don't know of a specific solution though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back