Win XP Hangs after installing additional RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 720 Ap Notebook ( Duron 1.1 GHz, 128 MB PC 133 SD RAM). I recently installed a new 256 MB RAM chip and the system recognised it instantly on booting up. However, after about half an hour of inactivity, Win XP hangs up and has to rebooted to resume work ( On both Battery and AC Power). This problem was not there earlier. I took out the RAM chip to check it is properly connected and found that it was pretty hot.

What can be the reason for it ? Please help.

Thanks...

laptops are very picky about RAM, what brand did you use? Best thing to do is to get replacement and upgrade RAM either from the notebook manufacturer(Compaq).
that doesn't mean you "have" to buy compaq replacement memory, its just that by doing so, you don't have to guess as to whether the machine will have a problem with it or not. Since it is also a bad idea to mix brands of RAM, you also eliminate several problems that could arrise from that.

I agree, it sounds like it could be conflicting RAM sticks. Even though it is recongized by the BIOS, the different company makers could be conflicting with each other. If everything else fails, you could replace the old stick with 2 new ones of the same brand.

You should really check if the RAM stick is on the laptop's hardware compatibility list. I believe that Kingstone have on their website a database you can query.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back