Win XP hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey peeps
A friend of mine has a Compaq Persario 700 laptop, I've been trying to figure out why it runs so slow. The boot screen says the processor is a 1 Ghz Duron, but when I check system properties windows identifies it as anywhere from 500 to 700 Megahertz. So I went ahead and installed Si Soft Sandra to run a benchmark. It benchmarked equal to a 500 Mhz, and while looking over the mainboard info I noticed the mainboard temp was at 500 degrees Farenheit!!!!! And the voltages were way to high. I restarted the comp and right before the Win XP splash screen comes up the system hangs. Tried safe mode samething. He wasn't worried about formatting the HD. Right now I'm reinstalling windows, did not reformat HD YET Probably will tomorrow. As of now windows has been installing for, oh say, 5 FREEKING HOURS!!!:mad:

What gives??

Thanks

i'm not sure... but im gonna go ahead and guess that you either mistyped, read the wrong thing, or the readings were screwed up, b/c 500 degrees farenheit is, well, more than 3 times the acceptable temp limit for that processor and way too hot to be even running. let us know what the situation is after you get it back up and running, but it sounds like theres a main problem somewhere, whether its a bios/power/motherboard issue or what.

I tried to find the temp readings in the bios and there wasen't that option. It did say 500 degrees but I know that there is no way that was the right reading, I'd probably have a burnd down house if it was correct. But windows is still installing and will up date you when it is done. Also, I reinstalled win XP Pro over win XP Home. And why did Sandra do such a job to the OS? Do you think I should reformat HD and then install XP Pro?

Try setting all bios settings to default, then do a complete format of your hd. Installing winxp pro over an xp home isn't the best option for a stable system. To know the temperature(if there is a temperature sensor) you can eighter install the software that came with the laptop or instal motherbord monitor.

When windows is installed(it shouldn't take 5 hours, run SiSoft Sandra again. And look if anything is wrong.

Greets Crazy

OK
I formatted HD started installing XP again and installation was going VERY slow. It would say 35 minutes remaining for about 15 minutes and so on. Now attempting to install Win 2000 Pro. Going to format again and install. Hopefully this will work, we'll see. :(

P.S. thanks for the replies

UPDATE

I installed Win2000 Pro everything is good. But need to get back to XP. No audio or video drivers for 2000 supported.

Thanks

Check the Compaq Armada drivers, they probably work.
Last year I installe W2K on my daughter's laptop (Armada 1750) and got everything for W2K there.

Fixed it, I upgraded 2000 to XP and everything works fine. Any ideas why the 2 other times I tried to install XP took so long (like around 8 hours). Thanks for the help:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back