Win XP Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

clp86rom

Can you guys please help me out really fast. I been trying to get this to work but it just does not want to work. Basically i want to install win xp pro on a 320 gb hard drive but when i boot up from the cd to install xp it only reads it as 131000 gb harddrive. and this goes with every hard drive that i try to use. i tried a 250 and a 320 gb harddrive. when i boot this hard drive as a slave on a different computer it sees it as 320 or 250 so i know they work and plus i just bought them brand new. why is it that when you try to install home edition it only sees it as 131000 gb?

what is going on. :mad:

cristian

what are the spec's of the computer yuo are trying to put these drives on? AND does this computer have the latest bios fromthe manufacturer?

Some BIOS can only recognize 131GB at a time.
Partition your hard drive in 131 or less partitions.
load windows.

That's because 48-bit LBA isn't enabled by default. Slipstream service pack 2 on your XP Pro install CD & it should be able to see the whole space.

ok. This is what I dug out from my old hard drives that warned me of this issue.
You have to have Service pack 1 or higher for windows XP in order to access a hard drive greater than 137GB

If you have an intel chipset, you may need certain drivers which provide BIOS support for drivers greater than 137GB

the only other solution is to get a 48-bit LBA supported controller card to access the full capacity of the drive. I suggest this. Controller cards are cheap.

You don't need an extra controller card. Any recent hardware can do it. As long as you're not using K6-2/Pentium 3 or older type of hardware you'll be fine. Just make sure you have recent BIOS versions/drivers & the proper service pack with your XP install CD.

it's a catch 22- if he doesn't have a formatted drive, he won't have SP1 or 2 installed as the OS isn't installed. This was the issue when installed my 250GB drives X 2 on my system.

Fortunately, the drives came with partioning software..
Later, I got a copy of XP with SP1 and was able to load it over.

In any case, some XP CDs are older without SP1. I don't know what he has. If he has SP1 then he's ok. He may need a BIOS update. If not, then a controller card is a messy free solution.

Even with a controller card, if the OS doesn't have at least SP1 it won't work so it's not an error free solution. He's posting right so he clearly has a working machine. All he needs to do is slipstream SP2 on an install CD & it's done. It's not very complicated.

that's assuming he's using the same machine to get on the 'net!
But yeah, if your program works, that's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back