Win XP machine doesn't recognize Netgear card (and other weird issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on my sister's Dell Dimension 2400, trying to fix some weird issues. The machine: Pentium 4, 2.2 Gig processor, 768MB of RAM, runs Windows XP. She had issues a while back, the details of which she can't clarify too well. But, she had to do a rebuild or reinstall of some kind with Dell on the phone, and got the machine running. Current issues:

1. The computer doesn't recognize a Netgear 56mbps PCI adapter card that I put in. The power light on the card is on, but new Hardware wiz can't find it. My sister told me she has also had USB slots that didn't work, but that seems to have gotten fixed.

2. The thing just runs slow, which is why I bought an extra 512 megs of Ram, but photo thumbnails in folders still load REALLY slow, programs take a while to launch, just dragging the scroll bar in some folders causes gags, etc... Thought this could be a virus, but McAfee says it's all clean.

3. Can't delete certain files in certain folders, and can't install certain programs (tried Photoshop 5 and 7 with no luck) to "Program Files" folder. In each case, it says "Access is denied." There's no protection on these folders, and I'm signed in as the Administrator. What the hell?

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could a bad/partial reinstall of Win XP create all of this havoc? Thanks for anything...

McAffee couldn't stop a french soldier, let alone a computer virus. you'd be best off getting rid of it. use avg free edition and ad-aware se to cleanse the computer of all threats and hinderances. next ensure you have all the device drivers installed, running windows update as well. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back