Win XP New brand new comp various blue screens help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legoflamb

Ok so I got a new pc

intel q6600
ati 1900 xtx
asrock conroe mobo
2 gig ram
500gb samsung hd

I installed a few things after formatting and installing windows and just from general browsing and usage I was getting blue screens. So I thought 'hmm dodgy xp install or something I'll just do it again'

So I reformatted, installed windows and began installing stuff like mobo drivers and stuff.

The blue screens are seemingly random I've had a couple that said IRQL not less or equal than, something to do with atapi.sys and soemthing to do with win32k.sys

Like I said this computer is brand new the only things that aren't are the gfx card and my psu which im swapping out for a hiper one today anyway.

I was getting a load of sound related blue screens on my old machine whilst playing games until it died and just hung all the time unable to even get near to booting windows.

Could it be the power supply?
Will it have done permenant damage do you reckon?

Thanks in advance!

The prefer to troubleshoot unknown causes for errors using the Event Viewer. This contains logs for everything that happens in your system and apps. This will give an Event#, Source and Description- for instance, that 'IRQL' ' and 'atapi.sys' error has more to it:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

Reformatting and/or reinstalling on a brand new computer can sometimes cause more problems and isn't recommended.

It's saying there's a lot of bad clusters on my HD1 I dunno if that's referring to the HD that came with it or the one that I just added from my previous computer.

The new one is a 500gb and windows is only recognising 460 of it... so maybe that's got something to do with it if it is referring to my new one.

I just added my old hard drive is saying it needs formatting. Thing is I didn't have any jumpers to put on the back of it but I thought it didn't matter for SATA drives so wondering if the computer maybe is upset about it or whatever.

Actually just looked at the event viewer again and I think both disks are having errors its referring to one as ntfs and in the description it's calling it e: which is the new one so HD1 must be my new hard drive.

couple of errors:

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block. (new HD)

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period. (says atapi next to it)

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume E:. (old recently added hard drive.

hmm it seems, according to the time, that I've been having the HD errors since I put my old one in. Maybe all the errors are referring to e:

Arrrgh it's doing my head in!!!!

My anti virus seems to be throwing up a lot of errors as well:

EXCEPTION calling function for the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpshell.dll [ACCESS_VIOLATION Exception!! EIP = 21884764] Please inform Avira and
submit the appropriate file!

EXCEPTION calling function for the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\tourstart.exe [ACCESS_VIOLATION Exception!! EIP = 20718708] Please inform Avira and submit the appropriate file!

EXCEPTION calling function for the file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\UPDATE\AVUPDATE_4769c496\winwks\en\basic-nt\avgnt.exe [ACCESS_VIOLATION Exception!! EIP = 20718708] Please inform Avira and submit the appropriate file!

Firefox has done 1 or 2:

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20071.12718, faulting module nspr4.dll, version 4.6.7.0, fault address 0x00016ca9.

Are these likely to cause blue screens?

Sould I take that old HD out and jsut get rid of it or should I chkdsk it?

ok removed the hard disk which i reckon must be ruined.

Still getting irql not less or equal or something - is that most likely to be ram?

Just got that message when the computer was idle except for copying 6gigs of data over the network.

If the variable has an incorrect value in it, the program tries to access memory that it should not. When this occurs in a user-mode application, it generates an access violation. When it occurs in kernel mode, it generates a STOP 0x0000000A message. Basically you need to post up the entire message that you get because each part of the error message references a different variable.

you should follow what bobbye said above and somebody should be able to find what is accessing your memory that shouldn't be

ah right - most of the messages have been random numbers

0x0000004e
0x0000008e

I remember those were the start of a couple of messages specifically.

A couple have been atapi.sys and win32k.sys but literally I must have only seen these once each. When it happens again I'll make a proper note of it.

Really need the exact errors -> here is what they tell you

1 Memory referenced
2 IRQL at time of reference
3 0: Read 1: Write
4 Address which referenced memory

Both of those errors could reference that you need to update your service pack

The following link is to Microsoft with instructions on how to do that

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/

I would still follow bobbye's instructions above to retrieve the exact errors

yeah there isn't anything in the event log now though

I have sp2 as well if that's what you mean?

Either way I'll just be less of an angry spaz when it happens again and write all that stuff down - cheers for the help!

Just had another random crash i was downloading that debugging tool to sort out a minidump when i actually got one anyway so I wrote it down.

Ok it said:

STOP 0x0000008E (OXC000001D, 0XBF820E25, 0XAA512BD4, 0X0000000)

win32k.sys address BF820E25 base at BF800000, date stamp 41107F7A

Is thats about all the useful information it gave me...

Just got this one this morning:

PFN LIST CORRUPT

0X0000004E (0X00000099, 0X00000001,0X0000000, 0X0000000)

That's all the info it gave me and it happened just as my wireless usb internet thing said it had to close... :(

"I would still follow bobbye's instructions above to retrieve the exact errors"
"That's all the info it gave me"

I gave you instructions for going to an copying errors in the Event Viewer which you haven't done. the Events have a specific # and Source as well as the Description. All of those things are used to troubleshoot.

This is the best I can do:
How to Troubleshoot a "STOP: 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" Error Message: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291806

"Stop 0x0000008E" error message in Win32k.sys when you use the keyboard to access a program menu in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834450

Hey sorry I was just typing what was on the bluescreen - here's the errors form the event viewer.

They're both firefox things but it does it randomly when I'm not running firefox as well that's all I was concerned about, and the error messages on the bluescreens seem to be different to these ones in the even viewer.

for example here's one i had today: PFN LIST CORUPT 0X0000004E (0X0000099, 0X000001, 0X00000, 0X00000)
here's one without a message just numbers: 0x00007F (OX00000D, 0X0000000, 0X000000, 0X00000)

Anyway here are the latest from the event viewer. They all seem to be application and not system but Im getting crashes while not reaslly doing anything.

source: application error

category: none

event id: 1000

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20071.12718, faulting module npswf32.dll, version 9.0.115.0, fault address 0x00005805.

Yeah - so ignore the stuff about the hard drive that was just me being a spaz.

and here's another one:

source: Application Hang
catergory: (101)
event id: 1002

Hanging application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20071.12718, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Big thanks for all your help guys, I'm sorry I wasn't writing the right stuff down!

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT -> This can be caused by corrupt physical RAM.

Let's just try this for the heck of it. It may be a driver conflict

1. Right-click on My Computer
2. Select Properties
3. Select Advanced
4. In the Start up and Recovery section, select Settings; this displays the Startup and Recovery dialog box
5. In the Write debugging information section, select mini memory dump

Make sure the following are checked
* Write an event to the system log
* Send an administrative alert
* Automatically restart

The next time you crash-> Go to C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump.dmp

and attach the file here

In the mean time I would follow this

THNDR143 said:
I'll take a guess at saying the ram may be the culprit.
Test your ram, one stick at a time, using Memtest86

hehe yeah that seems to be the answer for all the problems I'm having !

I'm getting a refund I shouldn't be ****ing about with all this on a brand new computer.

All that stuff was already ticked/chosen and there are already minidump files in there - shall I post them?

I thought you had to do some long winded thing with windows debugging tools to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back