Win XP Pro boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

anabol20

I am having problems booting into Win XP Pro.

I am getting to the Win XP Flash screen OK but then the horizontal blocks stop moving across the screen and it hangs. Other times I can get in OK.

The memory is fine and checks OK at boot-up. The

I have changed my motherboard (Abit KD7 Raid), changed my hard drive (Maxtor 80gb) after doing a LL format and a re-partioning (FAT32), done a fresh install of Win XP Pro, run Norton Antivirus Pro 2003 to check for viruses, and tried the Win XP Recovery Console but it still happens!!

Once I get into Windows, it works fine but I just know that one I shut down, I am going to have problems getting back in!!

Can anyone help????

Does the safe boot mode work after a crash? If it doesn't, it's serious, but if it does it could be anything down to driver issues or faulty programs at startup.

The next time you get back in can you take a look in device manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware) and check for any hardware that is not configured correctly (yellow exclaimation mark next to item).

I will have at look at the device conflicts.

With regard to booting into safe mode, no it does not work! I get lots of lines of code indicating it is loading various files but then this stops and hangs too!

I can maybe try to reboot several times before finally I get in and everything works fine again...until I come out and try to get back in again!

No hardware conflicts apparent at all. Does that rule out a hardware problem??

I had to get in via the Safe Mode with network option.

Is it worth going through the start-up file loading in MSCONFIG to see if there is a problem there???

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss as to what is causing this.

Can you take a look in Event Viewer to see if there are any obvious recurring errors. Try and look at errors that have a time stamp of when you failed to boot.

I think this is likely a hardware issue and that windows is 'hanging' while querying your hardware. Have you tried disabling the RAID feature on your mainboard, as you aren't using this. Also, once in windows, can you reboot and get back in again without problem? Basically, does your problem only occur when your system is cold?

Yes, that's worth it cause it helped me with a different start-up issue.

You said safe mode doesn't work. Just a black screen with a blinking cursor? This problem sounds familiar to me. But I have no idea how I got rid of it. I had to reboot mutiple times just like you. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. One day it was simply gone. I'm not sure, but I think I had this problem with Win98 only.
With XP came a set of different issues... :D

Where does safe mode hang? It should give you a list of path names to files it is accessing.

I have got in via Safe Mode but on doing this, it seems to hang for a while at the following :

Windows\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

Incidentally, using Configsys, I noticed in the Start Up section, it was loading MSBlast.exe!! There was no location specified but I have disabled this. I have also run the FixBlast removal tool (which reported no incidence of the virus) and also a full scan (which reported no infection too). This may be a red herring but it seems a bit co-incidental.

Any comments guys?? I really do appreciate this help.

Oh, you got the Lovsan virus? Didn't you apply the patch yet?
Fixblast should find it, but here are some tips how to delete the worm

But I guess your trouble isn't connected to this.
The mup.sys is a common problem. Happens after hardware changes sometimes. Try googling for it, I found many different articles about it. Some claim that removing USB cards helps, others tell you to clear up devices with safe boot.

Just to update you, I removed an original USB add-in card and the problem seems to be fixed. I guess it was a number of factors not least of which were 2 viruses on my system but the final piece was the mup.sys file hanging.

While being an absolute pain, trying to solve this personally has taught me a lot that will be of benefit in the future but also the feedback from you guys is invaluable and very, very much appreciated. Many thanks.

MUP.sys on hpze4400 Windows XP Professional

I did google and found this thread because the hp ze4400 of one of my graduate students has the hang after MUP.sys problem (in Safe Mode as well).

original
08/24/94 02:15a 107904 MUP.renamed right now

one I tried, no change in behavior ( copied from hp QuickRestore using Recovery Console command EXPAND MUP.SY_ C: )

08/28/02 10:12p 104064 mup.sys

Right now I intend to name them back.
I noticed no Floppy drive and learned that the student (husband of student, actually) has a USB external plug-in floppy. Of course when Windows is not running, that does not work, which is how I came up with the EXPAND command.
I will keep looking through google hits. Words of wisdom for me now?
[ I am a new member, having just joined. I use Dell Talk a lot because most of our systems are from there. ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back