Win XP Startup BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya everybody, I'm new to these forums so I apologise if I am posting in the wrong section or for any poor explanation of my problem.

About a week ago I began getting messages just after I got to the desktop saying 'Windows has recovered one or more startup registry files using a backup. The recovery was successful'. These came up everytime the computer restarted until one day it started loading the desktop and then it cut to a BSOD and rebooted. It did the same thing when it began to load the desktop again and kept on looping like this until I booted it up in Safe Mode. I did a system restore and then the computer loaded up normally fine. Then the same thing happened until eventually system restore stopped fixing the problem.

This happened a day or two ago. I have now found out that the BSOD code was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8056e2a2, 0xf3a3b990, 0x00000000)

I did some digging and then uninstalled my sound card drivers. The problem went away, woohoo. I then tried installing some more up-to-date drivers for my Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card and the problem immediatly returned. I uninstalled the drivers, took out the card, still the problem comes around. I installed some drivers for my on-board sound and still the BSOD keeps on coming round.

I ran some tests on my hard drive and memory and nothing came up as being at fault. So I then updated my graphics drivers for my Nvidia Geforce 6600. I installed these and rebooted. Now I no longer see the BSOD, but the PC still reboots now just before it gets to the desktop and this loops round and round until I go back to safe mode. However, now when I look at the Event Viewer, the code has changed to:

0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0xee010a03, 0xf88ee9cc, 0xf88ee6c8)

I'm using an AMD Athlon XP 3200, 512mb RAM, 250gb HD and 256mb Geforce 6600.

I'm at a complete loss. I feel that the Minidumps may help solve my problem, but I have no way of opening them. If there is anyone who can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long post, I was not sure what information was relevant or not.

Thanks a lot.

- Syphax

Hi

Find all the minidumps in system root, or do a search for them (search *.dmp) and then zip then up and post them here, I or someone will have a look at them for you, but bear with me/us if we dont reply straight away, I only come in here in the evening.

Regards

I've found when I make changes to the system, XP is able to load normally without going to a BSOD. For instance, I updated my BIOS and when I started the PC everything loaded up fine. I received 5 or 6 'Windows has recovered from a serious error' messages, which I expect is the back-log of the messages that haven't been able to come up in Safe Mode after a BSOD. As soon as I rebooted though, it immediatly sent me to a BSOD at logon. The same thing happened when I removed my sound card. XP was able to load up fine, I received a few of the 'serious error' messages but as soon as the PC rebooted, the problem started happening again.

I am stumped. I could just wipe the hard drive, but I would quite like to know what is causing the problem in order to stop it happening again.

- Syphax

A lot of the dumps, including the most recent, have the following error. You may have more than one problem, but see this THREAD for the error below.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 8056e2a2, ee0de990, 0}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt!HvpGetCellMapped+5f )

I agree with cpc, You may also want to even try running a registry repair tool, such as RegistryMechanic if the problem he states exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back